Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 PM
TrevorW

Pentax DSLr Problem

$600 and less than a month old and somehow the censor appears to be faulty. Suddenly I tried taken some shots today switching between RAW, JPEG and alll I was getting was black pictures. Checked everything else and it worked fine. I looked inside and it's like somethings fused, melted, and stopping the mirror from lifting.

I had been concerned how quickly the camera chewed up power showing a set of Lithium's flat and rechargeable in under 100 pictures and would shut down after 3-4 time lapsed pictures in RAW mode.

Although when I checked the batteries they still had plenty of charge.

Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Ouch – that doesn’t sound too healthy!

With our Pentax *ist DS, I reckon we’d get over 500 exposures on a set of CR3V batteries, so yes, yours seems to be eating batteries!

I think the sensor on the *ist DS is a CCD (power hungry) compared to the Canon CMOS (low power).

Hope you get it fixed or replaced.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 18-07-2008, 11:37 AM
TrevorW

I've been told three-four weeks for the camera to be repaired (it's goes to the Perth distributor then to MElb to be fixed from the retailer unlike Canon, Pentax use a Austl distributor) and returned to me. This IMO stinks if you've only recently purchased something and it's hardly been used then they should replace it if it fails. Anyone had similar issues with a warranty repair.
Old 24-07-2008, 08:22 PM
TrevorW

Update: Pentax claim that the problem with the camera is not a camera fault and refuse to repair it under warranty. The particular problem is that on the inside of the camera where the mirror is something has burnt or melted on the side of the mirror housing stopping the mirror from lifting. They claim albiet not directly that it's my fault. Unless I took to the inside of the camera with a blow torch it's impossible, the dealer is now arguing the logic with Pentax.

As you may recall I've posted having power issues with this camera before it failed.

:mad2 ::mad 2:

Last edited by TrevorW; 25-07-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:22 PM
TrevorW

Update: the dealers talked to the distributers sales manager and they've agreed to replace the camera with a new one

I'm greatful but one would ask ???? when nothing was wrong with the camera.

Another one of those mysteries in life.