Originally Posted by alpal View Post
I had already showed the link twice on this thread but here it is again:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/247194...in/photostream
Sorry
I thought it is something else ..
Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Hi bojan,
I have had an EQ8 for a couple of years now and have no complaints about it. Mine is exclusively used for Astrophotography and it works a treat. The heaviest telescope I put on it was a C14 Edge, that weighted 34Kg with all attachments i.e camera etc. They are built like a tank and just as heavy, if you trip over it in the observatory you are more likely break your toes, than move it. The rule 1/2 to 2/3 maximum rated capacity for Astrophotography is quite reasonable, if I watched the tracking on the C14 compared to the 150mm Skywatcher esprit, the Esprit's tracking is almost flat, C14 the mount has to work a lot harder, but still gives good images. I parted with the C14 recently, just too heavy for me, at 67, I'm not getting any stronger, I will stick with the Skywatcher Esprit, Celestron C11 (non edge) and the EQ8. My only complaint is the light pollution at Boronia.
Cheers
Peter
Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM
alpal

Hi Peter,
it's good to hear a positive review of the EQ8.

cheers
Allan
Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Hi Peter,
it's good to hear a positive review of the EQ8.

cheers
Allan
Hi Allan,
First my apologizes, it should have been Hi Allan and not Hi bojan in my first reply.
You have to ask yourself the question, how many second hand ones come up on the market, not many that I have seen. Yes it is possible to get a lemon and everyone will hear about those, but there are a great many out there that are working just fine. I know at least two other Astronomers that have them, and have never heard a complaint from there owners.

Cheers
Peter
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSEllis View Post
Hi Allan,
First my apologizes, it should have been Hi Allan and not Hi bojan in my first reply.
You have to ask yourself the question, how many second hand ones come up on the market, not many that I have seen. Yes it is possible to get a lemon and everyone will hear about those, but there are a great many out there that are working just fine. I know at least two other Astronomers that have them, and have never heard a complaint from there owners.

Cheers
Peter

Yes Peter - you have a point.
I also like the SynScan controller & the possibility of using EQ mod.

Did you watch the video on the first post?

cheers
Allan
Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Yes Peter - you have a point.
I also like the SynScan controller & the possibility of using EQ mod.

Did you watch the video on the first post?

cheers
Allan
Hi Allan,
I certainly did, and I also downloaded it in case I need it in the future. But until something goes wrong, I will let sleeping dogs lie.
When I first got the EQ8 I tried EQmod as well as multiple star alignment, theses days I don't bother, I find a star close to the DSO I want to Photograph and do a Single Star Alignment, you then use the Skywatcher Hand Controller to go straight to the DSO, and it will be in the middle of the field, or very close too. I then set the camera to record it for the next few hours, while I go inside and watch a movie or surf the NET. Once the time has elapsed, I go out and do my Darks and Flats and that's it for the night. I apply the same technique for my EQ6 which I have at a Dark site. Both my mounts are lined up accurately to the pole and are in Observatories, so the alignment never changes. This techniques works well for me.
P.S. I hate daylight saving, at this time of the years I can't start until about 10pm and don't usually get to bed until around 2 or 3am in the morning.

Cheers
Peter
Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSEllis View Post
Hi Allan,
I certainly did, and I also downloaded it in case I need it in the future. But until something goes wrong, I will let sleeping dogs lie.
When I first got the EQ8 I tried EQmod as well as multiple star alignment, theses days I don't bother, I find a star close to the DSO I want to Photograph and do a Single Star Alignment, you then use the Skywatcher Hand Controller to go straight to the DSO, and it will be in the middle of the field, or very close too. I then set the camera to record it for the next few hours, while I go inside and watch a movie or surf the NET. Once the time has elapsed, I go out and do my Darks and Flats and that's it for the night. I apply the same technique for my EQ6 which I have at a Dark site. Both my mounts are lined up accurately to the pole and are in Observatories, so the alignment never changes. This techniques works well for me.
P.S. I hate daylight saving, at this time of the years I can't start until about 10pm and don't usually get to bed until around 2 or 3am in the morning.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,
Wow - I also just do an accurate polar alignment using my camera -
turning a V shape into a line - takes about 5 minutes
& a few goes -
& then pick just one star close to my target &
it's true -that's all you need to find a target sometimes dead center.
I love the SynScan controller on my EQ6 - it makes life easy.

At this time of the year the sun never goes that far below the horizon
so imaging hours are very short.
Yes - there can still be a sky glow even at 10pm -
at least the camera picks it up.

cheers
Allan