Old 30-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Alasdair

Lunar atlas or app?

What with the awful weather in Melbourne recently, I've been enjoying having a few glimpses at the moon, which has the advantage of being easily seen even with light pollution, and also on nights with some cloud. And also easy to find! (An important consideration for the beginner.)

However, I've never taken much of an interest in the moon before, so I don't really know what's what. So I'm looking for either a good printed lunar atlas, or a good website, or a good app for android or linux. Any recommendations?

Also, I remember seeing a list of lunar objects, from the easy to find to the more difficult, to sort of test the powers of one's telescope and of one's observational skills. Where might I find that list?

Thanks, folks!
Old 30-07-2015, 01:14 PM
bojan
amateur

Try this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/
and/or this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oo.MoonAtlas3D

Google moon is also good..
then this:
http://cseligman.com/text/moons/moonmap.htm
Old 30-07-2015, 05:20 PM
hickny (Peter)

Here is another http://www.moon.com.co/atlas/index.shtml
Old 31-07-2015, 09:17 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I prefer hard copy for the moon -for reall ybasic astro visuals has a plastic coated waterproof moon phase maps [1 for each day]

or for books either the Cambridge or sky & telescope lunar atlas

as you're in Melb you can always drop by the ASV library
Old 31-07-2015, 05:42 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I use "Virtual Moon Atlas" which is a great piece of software(free too). It's the first one of Bojan's links.
It's brilliant when you have images open on the computer to just flick between to identify all that is there.
It has loads of options and I certainly haven't discovered them all just yet, it can probably do a lot more than I just use it for anyway. I would like it to go a bit deeper though, maybe it can, I'm not sure.
Either way it is a tops little programme.

Also as Daniel mentioned I'm after a good hard copy or two as well. There seem to be a few out there but I don't know what to pick, again I want to go as deep as possible with loads of info about all those little features.

The list you are after I believe is Sky and Telescopes Lunar 100, a great little checklist of lunar features.
Old 31-07-2015, 08:06 PM
blexxx1769 (Ian)
blexxx1769

Atlas or App?

I've found both atlas & app compliment each other - the app/ipad at the scope & atlas for planning/ reviewing. The atlas of choice would be the 'Atlas of the Moon' by Antonin Rukl, far more detailed than any of the apps I have looked at & available s/h for around $35.( Try abebooks or ebay)
A polarising filter or 2 make lunar viewing a bunch more pleasant too.
Cheers.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by blexxx1769 View Post
I've found both atlas & app compliment each other - the app/ipad at the scope & atlas for planning/ reviewing. The atlas of choice would be the 'Atlas of the Moon' by Antonin Rukl, far more detailed than any of the apps I have looked at & available s/h for around $35.( Try abebooks or ebay)
A polarising filter or 2 make lunar viewing a bunch more pleasant too.
Cheers.
Give me a book over an app any day! Atlas of the Moon by Rukl is an excellent book.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I have the Astro Visuals maps and CD. I copied the images from the CD to my tablet so I have the best of both worlds.
Old 13-08-2015, 12:58 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I picked up a free pdf online that is excellent !! Printed it out at work, maybe 160 pages with descriptions and ID'd photos etc.
Can't remember where I got it but I'll check it tonight and post up any helpful info to the source.
Old 13-08-2015, 01:50 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Give me a book over an app any day! Atlas of the Moon by Rukl is an excellent book.
Yes, Rukl is excellent. I have the reduced version (and I only paid $2o incl. postage for it):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antonin-R...item1c5710204f

I also have a new atlas (21st-century Atlas of the Moon) + many pdf files and a virtual moon program.