Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-05-2014, 09:10 AM
vaztr (Andrew)

I propose a new catalog and designate it as the first member

If I was an egotist it would be VAZTR 1, but I think they'll be more favour for...

DOUG 1

Now it's up to Doug to find more galaxy's that he lives in so he can keep the new catalog going

VAZ
Old 26-05-2014, 09:55 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaztr View Post
I propose a new catalog and designate it as the first member

If I was an egotist it would be VAZTR 1, but I think they'll be more favour for...

DOUG 1

Now it's up to Doug to find more galaxy's that he lives in so he can keep the new catalog going

VAZ
Anyone can start a catalogue if they want too,even you Andrew,getting it recognised is another thing.
There are probably fifty or more catalogue's out there so one or two more won't make too much difference.
Go ahead with your VATZR 1 catalogue,I hope you enjoy the journey.
Cheers
Old 26-05-2014, 11:59 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Actually, some parts of our home galaxy already have demoninations, most notably perhaps M24/ IC4715. That could just be expanded to mean the whole thing? Such expansion of meaning is common. Consider "guy", which used to mean one man (Fawkes), now almost any male human.
Old 26-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
PS: Doug, it looks like you will have to find your own galaxy if you want one named after you.
You know I never suggested it be named after me, all I suggested is If it hasn't been officially named then I call dibs to name it...

Also I never in a minute thought this thread would become so controversial & make it to 63 posts...Well I'm impressed any way..
Old 26-05-2014, 02:33 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaztr View Post

DOUG 1
There's nothing to stop you creating your own catalogue, naming it after yourself, and including anything you want (including objects with existing common names). Don't forget how stunningly successful the Caldwell catalogue became very shortly after Patrick (Caldwell-)Moore first published it in 1995.

Of course, whether anyone else uses it, and whether you can convince people like Celestron, Meade, SkySafari, Stellarium etc to reference it in their supported databases is another matter entirely!