Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 04-07-2021, 05:54 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Went to pick up my new Samyang on Sat, but....

Hi all.

I FINALLY put on a deposit for a Samyang 14mm from Camera House last week:
https://www.camerahouse.com.au/samya...ull-frame-lens

Was reasonably happy as I got them to knock it down to $500 (sales on last week and marked at $509-)
On Saturday afternoon I arrived to pay off the balance and collect. However to my surprise I was presented with the Samyang 14mm mk2:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Samyang-We...5387447&sr=8-1
Had come across these before but never really looked into them with the lack of intel using for wide field AP and this nor recommended.
Now when it comes to optics knowledge, I'm certainly the last person you'd turn to, but from what I can see or tell, it seems like there had been a bit of a stuff up and possibly in my favor.
Got a few extra features like weather sealing, focus lock etc. and it seems to be a bit more expensive. The gentleman serving me (nor anyone there at the time) didn't seem to be knowledgeable regarding this lens or AP. But the thing that left me concerned before paying the balance was the mk2 wasn't listed on their web site. The UMC II wasn't available and would need to be back ordered with no ETA.
So my question, do I snap up the MK2 or do I reorder the UMC II?

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some advise soon.

Regards,

Ben
Old 04-07-2021, 08:21 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Oooh, try it out and share a photo - plenty of us are familiar with the UMC II so we will judge for you

And we won't let on you gave it a whirl
Old 04-07-2021, 08:50 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Tempting to give it a go, but a gamble. Saved a long time to get this lens. With my mediocre imaging ability due to limited time, It will be hard really establish if the mk2 was the wise choice over the UMC II. The UMC is proven. The mk 2 wasn’t what I ordered. But in saying that I don’t want to shoot my self in the foot with a possible better option. Tough call.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:58 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Just one shot will tell - even from the city. Just need to see those stars

My hunch is that the MKII will be better and you have struck lucky!
Old 04-07-2021, 09:40 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Optically it’s more or less the same from what I understand. It’s a relatively old optical design which Samyang have persisted with for 10 or so yrs. My interpretation of the mk2 is just a few added features. I’m leaning t’ward the mk 2 but as I’ve mentioned having a very limited amount of experience, I thought I’d throw this topic out there to get some thoughts. Hopefully get some more insight before the wk is out.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 PM
AdamJL

I’ll answer, but before I do, you did ask

If it were me and I thought it might be a mistake by them, I’d check with them to make sure they didn’t give me the lens by mistake. I know it’s easy to take advantage of an issue, but I wouldn’t be able to do that (in fact, something very similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I returned the item)

Not trying to moralise at you or come off high and mighty, but you did ask ;-)
Old 05-07-2021, 06:36 AM
langman78 (Ben)

Point taken Adam.
Well I’m sure they are aware of the situation as when I made deposit originally when the gentleman serving me asked the manager if a better price could be offered. And considering I’m sure stock arrivals would be cross referenced with orders specifically made by customers. Maybe an error by Samyang? There’s no significant difference price wise between the 2 lenses as was pointed out to me on Saturday. In saying that, I’m sure nobody is going to loose sleep over it morally and who to say I’m not getting the rough end of the stick if I choose the the mk2 over the UMC anyways? The MK2 was never catalogued on their web site to start with.