ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-04-2022, 06:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

connect mount to stellarium

Honestly I worry about myself sometimes..

i have connected my EQ5 and ran it thru Stellarium in the past in Sydney ..I set aside Martins notes on how to...but having downloaded it this afternoon and found the cable I realise that I have no idea and cant find my notes..Martins work...so its square one again.

anyways I was going to try and set it up a moment ago and realised I have no idea..Last night I could not even do a one star alignment..I would press " 1 " AND the thing would go straight to the guided tour thing???? maybe running into the chair has stuffed the eq8 but I am going to do a factory reset...anyways after all these years I finally decide to use my goto and problems...I have spent all day tidying, fixing adjusting cleaning looking for stuff and got the 115 mm running and as I took the guide scope from the 115mm while the new one is on its way... and put it on the RASA I took the 70mm scope off the RASA and have put it on the 115mm so I can maybe shoot something with 115 mm using the 70mm to find the object..mmm wait I got the star alignment done on the EQ6 ..see what I mean forgeting stuff etc...
I tried to take darks this afternoon but it was too hot and the temp was all over the place...adding the guide scope means I have another cable to route..and to take darks I had to dismantle everything I built for the cables to take the camera off...the RASA makes everything difficult...but getting there ..so I have two lap tops set up one to service each scope...hope to dial in auto guide..fix the star alignment problem and find my notes to bring in Stellarium...I think it is starting to rain...where is my guitar? oh I hope to put the Nikon on the eq5 as I dont have a lap top for the left over 2600

alex
Old 30-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
See attached both methods to connect a Skywatcher EQ mount to EQMod and Stellarium

The older mounts that don’t have a USB2 port ( only a RJ45 port ) should use the EQ Direct method which requires the Baud rate set to 9600 in both EQMOD and Device Manager ( ports )

The newer mounts that have the new additional USB2 port should use the USB2 Direct method which requires a Baud rate set to 115200 in both EQMOD and Device Manager ( ports )

Refer to attached docs

My EQ8-R pro mount is due in 4 weeks and I’ll be connecting EQMOD and Stellarium to this new mount using the USB2 Direct method of connection exactly like my later EQ6-R mount

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-04-2022, 09:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin..I think I on,y have the old cable ..it fits into the land controller hole but I think there is a USB a,long side..but didn't seem right..I will look when I go back down..I gave up on one star alignment as the eq6 is doing the same..when I expect it to take me to one star alignment it goes to night tour..anyways I opened the observatory and closed it and openned it again but now have the RASA and the 115 mm running ..60 seconds gain 130 ..just guessing mainly trying to break the over the high gain .habit...I will take some flats in the morning and darks mainly to work out a method ...having the camera where it is really makes things extrodinarily difficult so working out a system is the goal..if they turn out ok that will be a bonus...but at least I have two cameras running..leads everywhere at the moment...

Thanks for your help ...I could do it with the eq5 using the old cable.. but I need another desk and lap top really...and electrics thru the floor near the mount as even though I have the wheel chair in there I can't use it because of all the leads...so any time in there helps..I figure I am risking the rain so I got a tarp which will cover the important stuff who,e I close the roof...
Anyways got to get back there so nothing bumps anything...mmm maybe I have a new cable..I will look.
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 30-04-2022, 10:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The EQ6-R pro , AZEQ6 , EQ8-R pro mounts manufactured during 2019 will have both the handcontroller port ( RJ45 ) and the new USB2 port
I have found Stellarium and EQMOD is more stable using the new USB2 port with a USB2A to USB2B cable rather than the handcontroller port and EQ Direct cable ( but you can use either method )
Obviously if your mount is older than 2019 you have no choice but use the handcontroller port ( RJ45 ) with an EQ Direct cable

Cheers
Martin
Old 01-05-2022, 03:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin.
Here is a photo ..this is the most recent yes?... Are you saying I need to buy a cable from Shoestring ?...
Surely someone must have one closer. ..
I dont think I have such a cable but iI have another box to go thru...later.

Anyways taking darks and flats now. Ripped up a sheet and having a go but exposure time seems too short but I am relating things to the histogram so we shall see..for darks I have thrown my astronomy "cloak" over the thing to see how that works out... .the alternatives are tedious.
Thanks qgain.
Alex
Old 01-05-2022, 06:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is the photo ...my internet aint good...and I found a short cable that seems to fit...I may be able to run it into a hib and then use a suitable usb cable...My darks flats etc failed first go but seems that I now have it worked out and I reset the mount and it is now ready to star align... progress all over.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20220501154057_resize_93.jpg)
67.9 KB76 views
Old 01-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Obviously this is your new EQ8-R pro mount
As per my details above, yes just a USB cable is required
But ... don’t go through a hub for the mount connection , Ive found a direct USB cable say 5m long is the better option straight to your laptop. With EQMOD and Stellarium direct connections from laptop to mount is best
Cheers
Martin
Old 01-05-2022, 09:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin I read your notes as to mean you needed a special cable from Shoestring ..thanks for your help and tolerance.
Alex
Old 01-05-2022, 10:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Martin I read your notes as to mean you needed a special cable from Shoestring ..thanks for your help and tolerance.
Alex
Yes the “special” EQ Direct cable from Shoestring, Lynx Astro or Pegasus Astro plus a few others are only used for the mounts that don’t have the newer USB ports

My older 2018 model EQ6-R mount in my NexDome South Coast requires the EQ Direct “Special cable” as it has no USB

My newer 2019 model EQ6-R mount in Sydney has both ports , but I use the USB port as it is more reliable and cheaper

The special 1.8m long EQ Direct cables are around $75 plus you generally need a 3m USB extension cable too to reach your laptop
A 5m USB2A to USB2B cable is around $20 , heaps cheaper

Cheers
Martin
Old 02-05-2022, 07:15 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin.
If I have learnt something from astro photography it is to never give up. For me it is running into one brick wall after another but in time I get past and move forward.
I am so happy I sorted my one star alignment issue and what a co incidence that both mounts were struck with the same issue making me think it was me doing something wrong.
Thanks for your help and I hope I can get it all working real soon..it seems so close now.
Alex