Old 30-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Storage when travelling

A few weeks ago I went to a dark site with all my gear in the car.
It's a Landcruiser so enough space.
However I would like to take the scope and mount when we as a family go camping.
With all the camping gear and food and towing a camper trailer, I don't see where I can store the astro gear.
I saw the Rhyno box at bunnjngs which is claimed dust and water proof.
Is there anyone using those kind of boxes to store their gear when traveling the outback?
Old 30-05-2021, 04:31 PM
glend (Glen)

Just how big is this scope and mount? Do not put your scope or mount in a camper trailer if you can avoid it. Those trailers are usually very heavily sprung and not designed for astro gear. You mention the outback, and that usually means corrugations, keep the astro gear inside the vehicle if you can. A trailer can be ok on good paved roads, if the gear is well packed and padded.
Old 30-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Wilso

Hi Wilco,
It’s Wilso :lol
I have used the same Rhyno box from bunnings . Seems to be dust and water proof in the back of my Landruiser Ute as well!
I haven’t used it for my Astro gear only camping stuff but seems to do the job OK. Just depends on how expensive the gear your transporting I suppose. I would only take a cheaper refractor away with me if you plan to do some ruff terrain though.
Cheers
Old 30-05-2021, 05:38 PM
alval (Alan)

I have all my gear in a bunnings pelican case for regular travel to dark sites and a bit of off road. Will only have it in my car though, bouncing in a trailer would not do the scope much good. You can pack stuff all over and around it without damaging anything. It works well for me, and my set up has everything I need and I always pack everything back in the box after use so for any viewing session I just grab the box and tripod and have everything in the car in minutes without needing a checklist.
Al
Old 31-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Cheers all.
My plan was to put it on the roof as normally the CT will be full.

@glend the scope is the SW ED80 and mount SW HEQ5 Pro.
I would not take a reflector if I had one.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:26 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

It seems that not many people are travelling with their scopes.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:39 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

No I haven't gone camping with the scope nor do I know the boxes to which you refer but my ill-informed opinion is not to trust them completely. I would use some secondary protection; probably some heavy plastic bags. If water gets in around the seal you don't want the gear lying in a puddle. I'd also consider whether you might get condensation in the box. Then check the gear regularly. Happy camping.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:36 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Backseat and boot for me. My i20 is too small to tow a trailer. It would fit on one. Yet I can pack up all I need for the astrofest 10 days including cheese, crackers and wine.