Old 24-10-2021, 07:57 PM
AdamJL

Microscopes for kids

Hi all

Looking at getting my daughter a microscope for Christmas.

Does anyone have much experience in microscopes? Anything I need to look at?
I was looking at these two as a first option:
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...nd-microscope/
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sa...cope-40x-400x/

Cheers
Adam
Old 25-10-2021, 12:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have three microscopes, one little digital one which is fun and great for looking at bugs..and two large ones. One binocular and one trinocular for small stuff...bigh mag is not really important..I can go to crazy numbers but it is a real pain...I view from 100x up to 400x
The optics on the ones you are looking at is very acceptable I expect...the difference between mine and these optically would not be great ... Early oit you just would not notice...besides being binocular and trinocular it the ones you are looking at don't have the 'stage" mine has..which is not a big deal when starting.

The ones you are looking at should produce views similar to mine I can manage the slides better is mostly the difference...but I would get a little 5 meg camera to go with it so she can view on a computer screen...on the net $50 and 5 meg is great.
The trinocular allows binocular viewing with the camera in place...with the ones you are looking at it is either view thru the EP or add the camera to see it on screen.
I probably would go the cheaper one and if she is interested and stays interested buy one with a stage and trinocular... Maybe you could pick one up for $500..
Here is what she could do with a 5 meg camera.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210605_093240.jpg)
170.7 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210525_150947.jpg)
30.2 KB26 views
Old 25-10-2021, 08:46 AM
AdamJL

Hi Alex

That's really great. Thanks for the detailed explanation! Those images look fantastic, so we'll keep an eye open to the future for a little camera to attach later.

Cheers!
Old 25-10-2021, 10:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks ...have a look here. It is like an IIS for microscope folk...and lots of great photos.
https://www.microbehunter.com/micros...wforum.php?f=3
Old 26-10-2021, 11:28 AM
JohnF (John)

There are several different basic types of Microscopes.

1. A scanning electron Microscope, worth Millions. Find these at universities and Sydney Technical College had one. But they cost millions

2. Biological Microscopes effective Magnification limit is 1500 times. From $500 up for good quality one. I would buy used. Mine worth $1200 was stolen,

3, Stereo Microscopes, may be up to around 100 magnification. Some are zoom, mine is not. Mine an Olympus gives 20X and 40X magnification.

4. Metallurgical Microscope -- have no experience with one of these.

So it depends also what you want to do with the microscope.
Old 26-10-2021, 11:35 AM
JohnF (John)

And you can ad Darkfield cheaply to a biological Microscope using a Spider stop. So yo do not need an expensive dark-field condenser.
Old 26-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Huey (Michael)

Microscope

It all depends on the age of your daughter. The one from Bintel is most likely the one she will be using later at school. I always recommend a cheap dissecting microscope (binocular low power microscope) it is more versatile and easier to use. You can look at almost anything. Objects don;t have to be thin or transparent and can be without stains, slides etc. I used mine to remove splinters from the kids, looked at soil, insects etc. I have altogether 5 microscopes, binoluar, trinocular with and without cameras and still use them often. Some I had since my uni days (I'm retired now!). My earliest microscope was responsible for me becoming a zoologist. So, buy something useful, see if your daughter likes it and the invest inb a better of different one.

All the best

Huey
Old 26-10-2021, 05:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have one of these and they are most decent in my view, very useful and lots of fun. You could get her one and see if she sticks with it.
Use a mobil phone or computer for an image.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2021-10-26-18-25-27-85.jpg)
103.9 KB20 views