Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)
Registered User

Hans Tucker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,751
Just when you thought the hobby couldn't get anymore expensive

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/fl...v=322b26af01d5

Thinking of starting a GoFundMe .. any contributors?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2021, 03:19 PM
pmrid's Avatar
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

pmrid is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cloudy, light-polluted Bribie Is.
Posts: 3,335
It's mind-boggling of course, but there are folks out there in Disneyland who would think nothing of that price. That's also a bit mind-boggling.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Zuts
Registered User

Zuts is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/fl...v=322b26af01d5

Thinking of starting a GoFundMe .. any contributors?
one year warranty?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,080
At $257,999.00 it's obviously not for the amateur market
so why is it being offered at Bintel?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)
Registered User

Hans Tucker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
At $257,999.00 it's obviously not for the amateur market
so why is it being offered at Bintel?
99% of Bintel's sales would be to the Amateur market .. Being an FLI dealer I guess they advertise the complete range .. Amateur to Professional. Maybe some University with a dedicated program might invest in this. But you have to wonder what scope would compliment a camera like this ... I just don't think my AP130GTX is up to the task.

Imagine trying to put a Business Case to Miss Ministry of Finance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2021, 04:54 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
99% of Bintel's sales would be to the Amateur market .. Being an FLI dealer I guess they advertise the complete range .. Amateur to Professional. Maybe some University with a dedicated program might invest in this. But you have to wonder what scope would compliment a camera like this ... I just don't think my AP130GTX is up to the task.

Imagine trying to put a Business Case to Miss Ministry of Finance.



With a Sensor Diagonal of 86.8 mm you'd need a very large
telescope to illuminate the chip.
Probably a 24 inch mirror as a minimum?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2021, 06:43 PM
Huey (Michael)
Registered User

Huey is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cobar
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
With a Sensor Diagonal of 86.8 mm you'd need a very large
telescope to illuminate the chip.
Probably a 24 inch mirror as a minimum?
Shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford splashing some spare cash on the camera, affording a larger telescope only comes natural

Huey
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:39 PM
Zuts
Registered User

Zuts is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford splashing some spare cash on the camera, affording a larger telescope only comes natural

Huey
Like the Ford Ranger ad when the kid says to his dad,

we're gunna need a bigger boat
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:02 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,144
Hard to see much gain over an ASI6200/QHY600 there.

They are 61mp, 3.76 micron pixels able to do 2x2 or 3x3 binning and 90% QE and a proven performer.

The current CMOS Sony sensors are proven and world class.

They have had a development track and overcome various problems.

Has Kepler done that? The Sony sensors at 90% QE and very low read noise it does not leave much room for improvement.

They are also driven by their development of sensors for Sony, Nikon and Fuji's mirrorless camera market.

102mp full frame is the next likely sensor from Sony.

Greg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-05-2021, 01:52 PM
AstralTraveller's Avatar
AstralTraveller (David)
Registered User

AstralTraveller is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
99% of Bintel's sales would be to the Amateur market .. Being an FLI dealer I guess they advertise the complete range .. Amateur to Professional. Maybe some University with a dedicated program might invest in this. But you have to wonder what scope would compliment a camera like this ... I just don't think my AP130GTX is up to the task.

Imagine trying to put a Business Case to Miss Ministry of Finance.
It rare for a uni to fund research internally; maybe some seed funding but not this sort of money. Wollongong invested considerable internal funds to medical research as part of a strategic plan to move into that area and I imagine other unis have made similar strategic investments. However the vast bulk of funding for research comes from the Australian Research Council and equipment is normally via a Linkage Infrastructure Equipment Fund grant. Obtaining a grant is a highly competitive process. Preparation of a grant proposal takes months and has about a 10% success rate. Applications generally close around Feb-March and so many academics spend their christmas 'holiday' preparing their proposal. All proposals must be cross-institutional, academics from 6-8 institutions is common, and preferably cross-disciplinary (though that is more important on a research proposal than an equipment proposal).

Applications are judged against a range of criteria by an expert panel. I've seen an academic with a pile of proposals as high as their desk which he had to get read and evaluated in a few weeks (and this on top of all his regular duties). Proposals need to demonstrate that there are projects ready to go that require the equipment, that there is no other suitable equipment available, that the researchers are competent to operate the equipment and have the necessary support infrastructure, that the research is relevant, important and will benefit society etc etc. The evaluations of all panelist are compiled and converted to scores and the proposals ranked. Grants are awarded from the top down until the year's funding is exhausted. Often the grant is for less than what was requested and researchers are told to find the funding elsewhere. Hence the high rate of bank robberies by struggling academics .

The relevant Minster is then supposed to rubber stamp the panels decision but recently there was a controversy when he vetoed a project (in the humanities) because he said it wasn't in the national interest and that from now on all projects must satisfy this criteria. The truth was the the national interest test was already in place and a group of individuals better qualified than the Minister had already said it met the criteria.

So ensuring that taxpayer money is well spent is actually a rigorous and expensive exercise. Negotiating with the 'Ministry of Finance' may be the easier option .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-05-2021, 04:37 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 21,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
At $257,999.00 it's obviously not for the amateur market
so why is it being offered at Bintel?
Credibility. Although not of interest to any amateur it's a company flagship. A potential FLI customer might look at their range and think if these guys can pull something like this then their more affordable stuff must be good because they know their sh!t so good marketing.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2021, 04:49 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Credibility. Although not of interest to any amateur it's a company flagship. A potential FLI customer might look at their range and think if these guys can pull something like this then their more affordable stuff must be good because they know their sh!t so good marketing.



When Bintel was off Toorak Road in Melbourne,
and Roger Davis was there to help it really had some credibility -
but now it's only in Sydney - I wouldn't know.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-05-2021, 05:10 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 21,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
When Bintel was off Toorak Road in Melbourne,
and Roger Davis was there to help it really had some credibility -
but now it's only in Sydney - I wouldn't know.
Oh I was talking about FLI the manufacturer. I don't think Bintel credibility is in doubt anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-05-2021, 08:27 PM
DavidTrap's Avatar
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

DavidTrap is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,011
Might be something to buff up the value of a grant proposal, only to be replaced with something for a fraction of the cost when the reduced grant comes through???



DT
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)
Registered User

Hans Tucker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,751
Saddleback College got their TEC 250 mm APO refractor from a generous former student. Maybe institutions should forgo the idea of grants and seek out rich students or maybe rich benefactors ... like Leonard did in the Big Bang Theory ... according to Sheldon he had a knack for Gigolo work and daddy need a new Linear Accelerator.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:24 PM
Constant (David)
Registered User

Constant is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Shire
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
It's mind-boggling of course, but there are folks out there in Disneyland who would think nothing of that price. That's also a bit mind-boggling.
Yep, it'd not surprise me if more of these were sold than you'd think possible. Bintel isn't the only dealer with esoteric gear at stratospheric prices.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-05-2021, 10:54 PM
Wussell's Avatar
Wussell (Russell)
Registered User

Wussell is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Credibility. Although not of interest to any amateur it's a company flagship. A potential FLI customer might look at their range and think if these guys can pull something like this then their more affordable stuff must be good because they know their sh!t so good marketing.
I can't say too much about their customer service, 2 emails, 1 phone call, with a "we will call you back tomorrow" and not a peep from them. I was after some info regarding secondary dew heaters. I will go else where from now on.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-05-2021, 11:01 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Oh I was talking about FLI the manufacturer. I don't think Bintel credibility is in doubt anyway.



Yes - I liked the way Bintel had accessories in stock.
Roger also adjusted my EQ-6 mount for me once -
that was a specialist job and it worked fine afterwards.
(it had arrived from the factory mal-adjusted on the worm gear)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-05-2021, 12:49 AM
pmrid's Avatar
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

pmrid is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cloudy, light-polluted Bribie Is.
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Might be something to buff up the value of a grant proposal, only to be replaced with something for a fraction of the cost when the reduced grant comes through???



DT
Your cynicism is showing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Zuts
Registered User

Zuts is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wussell View Post
I can't say too much about their customer service, 2 emails, 1 phone call, with a "we will call you back tomorrow" and not a peep from them. I was after some info regarding secondary dew heaters. I will go else where from now on.
I have been dealing with Bintel for 15 years and have always had good service from them.

1. Recently i blew up my mount (reverse polarity), i got a board directly from skywatcher and Bintel installed it for free.
2. They helped me install a focus motor on my CPC for free
3. They have collimated scopes for me free of charge

and many other instances over the years to numerous to mention ...

P.S regards email, did you check your spam folder?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 12:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement