Old 28-04-2011, 03:34 PM
von Tom (Tom)

DSLR with Powermate at Prime Focus?

Hi everyone,

I have a Canon EOS 550D DSLR and a 12" Sky-Watcher Goto Dobsonian (connected using a T-adapter). Currently I am using teleconverters (two 1.4x and one 2x - totalling 4x) for planetary imaging. I'd like to consider using a Powermate to replace/augment the teleconverters.

Is it possible to use a powermate on a DSLR at prime focus of a telescope such as this? Does it affect the focus?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 28-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Tom - both the 1.25" Powermate 2.5x and 5x separate in the barrel to reveal a threaded section. This screws into a separately-available Televue ring which presents a common T-thread. Screw that into your camera's Canon T-adapter and away you go. I've used my Televue 5x very successfully on my 102mm refractor to capture - in one single shot, these two:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20080909-DSC_8632-full-1.jpg)
30.6 KB173 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter_DSLR.jpg)
7.6 KB194 views
Old 28-04-2011, 04:41 PM
von Tom (Tom)

Thanks Chris - great photos!
My current setup achieves focus with about 4mm of clearance on the focuser. With such little room to move I am concerned that the Powermate and adapter might not let me acheive focus. I will investigate further.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 28-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Heath (Heater)

Interested

Hi Tom,

I'll be interested in the responses here as I am considering a similar setup. I have seen some of your pics with the teleconverters and thought they were terrific. Why are you considering changing?

Also would be interested to know wheather a flattener would be required between T Ring and Powermate? Maybe only on a refractor?
Old 29-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Cloudyagain (Neale)

Hi Tom,

I have used the 2" 2X Powermate with my 30D and refractor. I use the Televue T ring for 2X Powermate. This gets the spacing from the camera chip to the Powermate correct. The focus point though was pushed a good way further back requiring an extender between the focuser and the Powermate.
Neale.
Old 29-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Red Nine (Evan)

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 5x Powermate to go with my 550D with the hope of taking some planetary shots. I have a 12inch Skywatcher, so I'm effectively using the same setup as you Tom.

I've only been able to use it for around 45minutes in the past week since it's arrival due to the consistently poor weather. However, I was able to get to focus (not perfectly given I was rushed, but it looked fine on the 3" screen, it was only once on the computer it was clear it was out...). I was able to put it out of focus both inwards and outwards, so you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to use it for such a short period of time, and being my first attempt, the images were pretty poor. However, it was a lovely set up to use, especially when I added it to my 2.5x Powermate.

I needed to purchase the TV Powermate adapter, which fits perfectly with the t-ring and the power mate. All goes together very nicely.

Wish I could provide some more information on the results, but I'm hoping I'll be able to upload something soon. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM
von Tom (Tom)

Hi Evan,

Thanks very much for the info. I'll look into getting one!
Tom