Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 01-12-2021, 08:15 PM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

Thanks everybody for your comments. Lots to think about.
Cheers Kanga
Old 03-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Hi Bart,
What is background extraction? How do I achieve it?
Cheers Kanga
Hi Kanga.

Background extraction is a way of subtracting stray light and light pollution in your back ground and removing it. PixInsight calls this Background Extraction, Photoshop has Gradient Xterminator and other software packages will have a relevant module or process.

I used to hate PixInsight with a passion. Now I will not use anything else. It is worth the effort and there are many you tube tutorials to assist.

Cheers.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
ooo, that might be wrong . Isnt something more beautiful likely be more popular ?. Reality is often not beautiful at all.
I reckon over processing or what I'd call perceptive processing just gives a standardised look more often than not that is stylised. There is so much diversity and nuances in deep sky objects when you understand what you're looking at that not one is identical to the other. Both in term of colours/dynamic range and details. So why should one school of thought when processing make every rendition of different DSOs look the same or emulate what is "commonly accepted"? Sounds like McDonald astrophotography to me. I like good ingredients and fine cuisine without all the ketchup toppings
Old 06-12-2021, 11:04 AM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I reckon over processing or what I'd call perceptive processing just gives a standardised look more often than not that is stylised. There is so much diversity and nuances in deep sky objects when you understand what you're looking at that not one is identical to the other. Both in term of colours/dynamic range and details. So why should one school of thought when processing make every rendition of different DSOs look the same or emulate what is "commonly accepted"? Sounds like McDonald astrophotography to me. I like good ingredients and fine cuisine without all the ketchup toppings

Food for thought!