Old 31-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Losmandy Dovetail Bar

GDay all

I have a SW250PDS reflector and I mount it on an AZEQ6 Pro mount. The current bar is a vixen at about 350mm in length. The scope is 1100mm long. Is it worthwhile replacing that bar with a longer one? Was looking at a 480mm 19". Heaps of length on the scope. Would a guru know if this is too long; would it upset the goto? Or are all these bars marketing hype? The saddle can accept two types of bars. I use it (when the weather is good) for just looking around.
Regards
Old 31-03-2022, 11:49 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’m upgrading my exiting imaging rig ( 8” f5 GSO newt on an EQ6-R mount ) which uses a Losmandy DUP14 to a new imaging rig ( 10” f5 KH Carbon Fibre Newt on an EQ8- R mount ) in May/ June and I’ve ordered a Losmandy DUP19 to support the OTA and accessories
As I’m an imager the new rig requires a rock solid support with a wider spread of the tube rings up to 400mm
If your only using your 10” scope for visual use , then a DUP14 should be adequate IMO
There’s about $35 difference between the 14” and 19” so why not save the cash if your not going to get into imaging later on

Hope the above is helpful
Old 31-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Bodon (Steve)

Martin
Appreciate the information. I will buy a 19. Just a tad unsure if the dovetail holes will match those on the mount rings.
Old 31-03-2022, 02:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodon View Post
Martin
Appreciate the information. I will buy a 19. Just a tad unsure if the dovetail holes will match those on the mount rings.
These Losmandy DUP bars are riddled with holes , you just have to move your tube rings a little wider or narrower to suit

See link below for hole set outs ( some holes are elongated , some just round and some with internal threads ) lots of options for mounting tube rings

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/lo...l-plates-dups/
Old 06-04-2022, 02:44 PM
AdamJL

Be really careful with hole spacing though. Measure before you buy. All Losmandy bar manufacturers use different spacing measurements. Some even in imperial vs metric.

If you don't plan on replacing your rings (that's how I solved the problem...) measure the distance on them and work forwards from there. Unless you rely on the single centre hole in these bars (I wouldn't with heavy gear!) you're going to need two points of contact on each ring.