Old 26-12-2009, 10:27 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Nikon vs Canon

Hi All,

Looking at getting DSLR mostly for widefield AP and general photography, but later want to consider beginner AP when I get the set up.

Generally there are Nikon and Canon cameras posted for AP so I was looking at a secondhand Nikon D70S, wondering are they a good camera for the right price? or should I go for EOS or something?
Old 26-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Both excellent DSLR brands, but I understand the Canon DSLRs have substantially lower noise for AP.
Old 26-12-2009, 02:17 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I think the important factor is the price, the one that I am looking at I may buy as little as $200.00 hope worth it, but in most case it will be as a beginner AP camera and would not be used till I get tracking with EQ.
Old 26-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

So long as the price doesnt makes AP a discauraging experience and put you right off. "the important factor is the price" is of no use if the intended use is difficult or next to impossible.
Old 26-12-2009, 04:48 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

In the current generation of cameras, I believe Nikon have the edge, however if you're looking for something around the age of the D70S or the Canon counterpart at the time, which was the Canon EOS 20D. The 20D is far superior for astrophotography.. Less noise, better software support etc... If you're looking for something a little cheaper, the Canon 350D is a good choice too... You should be able to get a 350D between 300 and 400 bucks.
Old 26-12-2009, 05:48 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Thanks for that
Old 26-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Good thing this isn't posted on "Photoforum" or "Fredmiranda" .
While Canons INCR (In Camera Noise Reduction) is better, Nikon's processing software seems to have an edge. The images clean-up better IMHO,. Also I prefer Nikon's ergonomics. That being said, I use the EOS system.
You should be able to lay your hands on a 2nd or 3rd generation DSLR for around $2-$300, though it might have seen a few shutter clicks.
Peter
Old 26-12-2009, 08:19 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I didn't realise this camera was so old in comparision. I may look at going for another one later generation. Havea little extra can spend, Anotehr mistake avoided due to the wonder of this forum.

Thanks all.
Old 26-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

I have a Nikon D40 and i love it. It is entry level (cheap) but has excellent noise reduction and takes lovely images. Only down side is lack of live view but if you run it tethered this isnt a big problem.
Old 26-12-2009, 09:21 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I will consider my options, I will also consider modding the filter so best experiement on a cheaper model as well.
Old 28-12-2009, 07:43 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I can't comment on Nikons as I have never used one. But in this day and age, surely the difference between the 2 is negligible and comes down to pixel peeping.

My only comment would be that since getting the Canon 40D, the liveview feature and additional capabilities of shooting while connected to a computer are far better than the Canon 30D. So, if I was going to buy either Canon or Nikon for astrophotography, I'd be looking into it's capabilities of shooting through a computer - liveview, can you do longer exposures than 30s, and so on.

And might also depend on what capture software you're going to use. I've seen Canon cameras as an option in Nebulosity for example, but don't recall seeing the Nikons. Just something else to consider. Make sure your capture software will work with it.
Old 28-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Troy's pretty much right.

Software support is very important.

Consider that Nikon makes you pay for CaptureNX (their RAW/NEF processing software), whereas Canon makes Digital Photo Professional available for free. I use DPP for all (except astrophotography) my image editing/processing (weddings/portraits/landscapes) -- it produces the best results and I've tried all the major RAW convertors. Again, depends on how critical you want to be. Process in DPP and transfer to Photoshop for salt and peppering.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 28-12-2009, 01:12 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

True. In the astronomy world, the Canons are much more widely supported with software, and the current generation (Digic III and newer) are fully USB controllable out of the box with no other hardware required.

The out of the box Canon software, as H said, is fantastic. DPP can be used as the one stop shop for DSLR image editing (non astro)..

I use Capture one from time to time as well, but DPP has pretty much everything one could need.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I have decided to go for entry level Canon, especially since I expect it will be a while before I can do Nebula AP until i get a scope that will support AP properly. I expect I will go for a EOS 450, 500 or 1000D. They all seem about the same with the exception of resolution. Can't really afford to go the next level up from those as yet.

I have seen Rebel XSi which seem to be a US version of the 450D. Looks like US warranty is the issue on this which may not be problematic as most AP cameras are modified and voids warranty. They are about $100 to $200 cheaper possibly due to dollar value. Anyone had problems experienced with OS purchaces on these cameras?

Thanks for the feedback
Old 28-12-2009, 06:44 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Just that the battery charger plug will be for US instead of Aus. Shouldn't have too much trouble other than that. My 40D was purchased from US used. No dramas so far.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

I'm too lazy to look it up, but, "unless I'm very much mistaken....", if you sent your Canon off to Hutech for modification, Canon used to honour the warranty as they had some kind of commercial association(20Da?).
Worth checking as a DSLR is a pretty complex piece of kit.