Old 26-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Saturn488

Combining multiple nights of data help

I have a few nights of data of my target I am capturing.

Night 1
- 110 Lights (LRGB) at 120 secs each
- 82 Flats (LRGB)
- 82 Dark Flats (LRGB)
- 32 Darks taken from another night at same temp

Night 2
- 48 Lights (LRGB) at 120 secs each
- 100 Flats (LRGB)
- 80 Dark Flats (LRGB)
- 32 Darks taken from another night at same temp (same as above)

I have been reading up on how I can combine all this data to make my image but it's confusing. I am using DSS.

Can anyone advise?

Also, if possible I do some have 300 second exposures of the same target. Would it be possible to add those in the mix too?
Old 26-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Calibrate all of night 1, then calibrate all of night 2. Then stack everything together
Old 26-05-2020, 01:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Just one other comment, consider alignment, did you use plate solving to get back to exactly the same place, or do you have offsets? DSS will normally work the registration off the sub with the best signal, and register the others against that. If your location is off between the two nights you may get some rotation or offset on the final stack which can expose gaps thst need to be cropped out. You can use a Group function in DSS as well.
As to the 300 sec group, the same comments apply regarding precise location. I would be tempted to use them as a separate layer in Photoshop.
Btw, have you graded those subs? I always use Image Grader to identify the outlier subs that should be discarded.
Old 26-05-2020, 04:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The advice you have been given is correct. However I bet DSS will handle it in one go. Do it as suggested but try another all in one for interest sake if you have time etc.
I have had DSS stack where half the photos were upside down...there were overlaps but a crop gave me a decent result just a little smaller than if everything was shot perfect.
Alex
Old 26-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Saturn488

Yep all understood.

So say after 4 nights of imaging I have the following

- 4 lum images
- 4 red images
- 4 blue images
- 4 green images

All stacked and calibrated with data from that night.

How does one combine multiple colour images of the same colour to process in PixInsight?
Old 26-05-2020, 05:23 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn488 View Post
Yep all understood.

So say after 4 nights of imaging I have the following

- 4 lum images
- 4 red images
- 4 blue images
- 4 green images

All stacked and calibrated with data from that night.

How does one combine multiple colour images of the same colour to process in PixInsight?
Have you registered these 4 against each other, to achieve one each of LRGB? That can be done in DSS, leaving you with one file for L, R, G, B; which are registered.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:26 PM
brisen (Brian)

You would need to use the image integration process in pixinsight to create a master file for each colour. Add all of the red hot example and run image integration to output a single red file. Do the same think for each colour separately as well as the luminance.

Once you have all the masters, open channel combination process and select each master file as appropriate. The result is a colour image but don’t be surprised if it comes out green or red. You can fix this with some more processes.

If you haven’t already, google light vortex astronomy and you should find Kayron’s tutorials which are a good starting point gor Poxinsight. He has an easy to follow approach with screen shots so you can follow the steps.

Btian
Old 27-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Saturn488

Ah! I didn't know DSS can stack master LRGB channels into one, handy to know thanks!