Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2022, 04:24 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Anyone used Astroberry recently?

Hi,

I just received a raspberry pi 4 (8gb), and was wondering how stable it all is at the moment? I read a bit a while ago and it seemed to be great for some and others had a lot of drop outs/etc. Any tips worth mentioning?

I've got an asiair and have tried their zwo focuser but I think i need to revert back to my moonlite to carry the weight of my 6200mm and 7x 2" filter wheel & oag properly. But like the idea of the compact and remote controlling (wirelessly).

So was thinking of giving it a go but I don't have a great deal of time to do a massive amount of trouble-shooting.

Cheers

Russ
Old 10-06-2022, 05:27 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Hi,

I just received a raspberry pi 4 (8gb), and was wondering how stable it all is at the moment? I read a bit a while ago and it seemed to be great for some and others had a lot of drop outs/etc. Any tips worth mentioning?

I've got an asiair and have tried their zwo focuser but I think i need to revert back to my moonlite to carry the weight of my 6200mm and 7x 2" filter wheel & oag properly. But like the idea of the compact and remote controlling (wirelessly).

So was thinking of giving it a go but I don't have a great deal of time to do a massive amount of trouble-shooting.

Cheers

Russ
Hi Russell I am in the prosses of using the Astroberry for imaging the planets I am hooking the raspberry pi to a Celestron Evolution 6" Zwo ef ,Toup camera .So far all has been going well ,no drop out as yet ,did it come with the heatsinks install if not get them put on it .
Ian
Old 21-07-2022, 01:50 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Hi Russell I am in the prosses of using the Astroberry for imaging the planets I am hooking the raspberry pi to a Celestron Evolution 6" Zwo ef ,Toup camera .So far all has been going well ,no drop out as yet ,did it come with the heatsinks install if not get them put on it .
Ian
thanks for the heads up Ian, sorry i missed the reply. yes got the heatsink - it gets pretty hot!
Old 30-08-2022, 05:04 PM
hikerbob (Bob)

Late to the party

Commenting in case any of this helps others.

I'm running of a Raspberry Pi (8GB) and Astroberry. Mostly good although the occasional issue. Support for the Indi stuff is pretty good via indilib.org

I have two Pi's setup pretty close to identically although the second one is a 2GB (I think). Either seems to do OK at Solving which I suspect is the most intensive task it has to do. I had an issue for a while with KStars/Ekos crashing after a solve which seemed to be resolved by fiddling with the solve options. I have some doubts about the reliability of auto focus and am including less focus steps in sequences which I don't intend to watch closely (focus seems to be pretty stable once setup).

Overall I'm a fan of the Pi/KStars/Ekos/Indi stack mounted at the telescope and accessed remotely via RealVNC viewer especially compared to the fun of trying to control things via a Windows Laptop.