Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2022, 09:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
excellent but be careful ... if you actually run 2000 watts in a 12 vlt system...calculate how many amps...mmm thats a surprise I bet think of possible melt down and avoid getting up there...that is why folk go for 48 vlt systems...2000 watts at 12 volts is 160 odd amps ...in 48 vlt system its only 40 odd amps...anyways add up your watts divide by 12 and it should be no where near 2000.

it is fantastic seeing you getting on with it.

alex
HI big Al, well, I'm getting some heavy duty AGM batteries with a max dis charge current of 4000 amps, so I am sure they will be able to handle it. I better make sure that the parallel/series cables and the the cables that connect the inverter to these batteries are nice and robust

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Oh man, Nice, but I sure hope you used a Trade card for a discount, or atleast you are/became a Nerd-Perks/Club member for credits to use at next visit?!

If you're interested in more info than what's in the manual about the regulator, it is actually an Epever Tracer6210AN.
https://www.epever.com/product/trace...ge-controller/
They're not bad regulators. I've had the 40A version for about 5 years with no drama's.
If you're interested on data-logging or an easier setup/menu experience, there's a few external modules available:- Remote dot matrix LCD(model: MT50), WiFi module, Bluetooth module, Networking(TCP) module, RS485->USB converter lead etc... these all use one of the RS485 ports but unfortunately you can only use one device at a time. The second port is only for syncing two (up to six) regulators.

Edit: Found a system accessory chart. TCP module not shown for some reason.
HI Simon, no I wasn't a nerd member..but I am now

Thanks a lot for that info very interesting and handy

Mike
Old 19-02-2022, 11:55 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Mike well the obs is coming along very well ,you said you will be getting concrete delivered on site will the trucks be able to carry a full load or only half because of the the height you are at. Have you have a frost up their yet if not it must be getting close ,I am in Googong this weekend baby sitting and the nights are cooler then home
Old 19-02-2022, 12:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes I was trying to draw attention to cabling.
So I dont quiet understand the discharge thing...so I ask what capacity are your batteries? Surely you dont have 4000 amp hour batteries, not asking the price but my experience tells me that must be $25k ( min) and up.....like my batteries for the observatory are rated 500 amp hours... for the van 350 amp hours..the house 1350 amp hours...which for me means I can use 100 amps in the observatory ( a little more maybe but it is a percentage of the rating)
Anyways I am not familiar with the discharge thing.
I love reading of your progress.
Slex
Old 19-02-2022, 03:36 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Yes I was trying to draw attention to cabling.
So I dont quiet understand the discharge thing...so I ask what capacity are your batteries? Surely you dont have 4000 amp hour batteries, not asking the price but my experience tells me that must be $25k ( min) and up.....like my batteries for the observatory are rated 500 amp hours... for the van 350 amp hours..the house 1350 amp hours...which for me means I can use 100 amps in the observatory ( a little more maybe but it is a percentage of the rating)
Anyways I am not familiar with the discharge thing.
I love reading of your progress.
Slex
I'm getting this bank for the observatory: https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/o...-bank-6v-cells

Mike
Old 19-02-2022, 04:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Mike.
That is an unbelievable price and should be quiet adequate...
I have 500 amp hours via four lead acid batteries and that was about $1300.

You have done very well ...and you deserve to ...

Check what the maximum discharge is...maybe 25% maybe more, and then you have and idea of how much power you can use...I work on 100 amps ..I could go higher but I try and be kind to them.

Then you can work out what the panels give you ... I expect you have done all that...try and check your voltage daily and never be afraid to run the genny to help them out...buying petrol is better than buying new batteries.

Alex
Old 26-02-2022, 04:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

The stash is growing...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220224_130554.jpg)
162.3 KB88 views
Old 26-02-2022, 04:48 PM
h0ughy (David)

Nothing like having a plan
Old 28-02-2022, 04:58 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Nothing like having a plan
Spraining the ankle and breaking a rib has put a spanner in the works of course ...then a week into the healing and I twist, bend and lift a bag of shopping.. "Pop!" rib broken again, faaaar.......home again this week, sitting still, watching reports about severe flooding in SE QLD aaand a deluded lunatic threatening nuclear war....

Mike
Old 28-02-2022, 05:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Spraining the ankle and breaking a rib has put a spanner in the works of course ...then a week into the healing and I twist, bend and lift a bag of shopping.. "Pop!" rib broken again, faaaar.......home again this week, sitting still, watching reports about severe flooding in SE QLD aaand a deluded lunatic threatening nuclear war....

Mike
Yeah it's great observatory building conditions
We thought 2020 was bad then you had to build the observatory of all observatories
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Taking great care and being very careful of my still repairing broken rib and sprained ankle (slow and steady) . I used reo mesh lifters to lift and laterally position the rebar cage under and within the forma-tube, so it is off the ground, centred in the tube and won't move when the concrete is poured in. The whole thing is rigid and secure and the top of the forma-tube is nicely level and I also made sure the pier bolt pattern will fit in without hitting the internal rebar cage when I come to press it into the wet concrete (needed just a little grinding in one spot). I have covered the whole form-work with plastic to protect it from the coming rain (40mm predicted tomorrow), so I can just remove it on the day of the pour and it will be all ready...now just to order the concrete..hopefully sometime in the next week or so ...so the deck build can start....then My Scopedome can happen!! (that's my dome in the background, behind Bill waiting patiently for my signal to deliver ))

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220304_171724 (1).jpg)
202.6 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (20220304_172059.jpg)
184.7 KB94 views
Old 07-03-2022, 06:20 PM
gregbradley

Sorry to hear of your injuries.

You are getting close now to being operational. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Has it been as cloudy as around Sydney has been in the last 6 months down there?

Greg.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:27 PM
AdamJL

Ha I watched that video today on YouTube and wondered whether that some was yours!
Old 07-03-2022, 09:59 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sorry to hear of your injuries.

You are getting close now to being operational. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Has it been as cloudy as around Sydney has been in the last 6 months down there?

Greg.
Yeah the rib and ankle have slowed me down. Because I want this bloody observatory done already , I was going to pour the support pier first (~ 0.75m3) and get the deck underway ...buuuut then discovered today, that the cost of getting concrete, up a damn high mountain, over an hours drive from the nearest supplier, err?...is not cheap and has a large base delivery price . So, I plan on forming up the slabs for the shed, path and observing pad for the 18" dob this weekend and then getting all the concrete delivered at once (~ 2.25m3) after that...lets hope the rain holds off! Maama Mia!

Yes, apart from several good clear nights over the Chrissey/New Year period while the comet was around, and given I am not always there, so I may have missed some clear sky time, it has been largely rather bleak nights at Eagleview.. and in the Canberra region generally too, about as bad as I can remember really ...after the good number of amazing, very dark and transparent clear skies over winter, that had my heart pounding with glee and eyes buzzing, it's been a little astronomically depressing really...haven't managed to test the new 18"dob yet either

Anyway....it will get better again, just gotta be patient, I have faith in El Nina leaving the room soon... and as our TV's have shown us in recent weeks, it could be A LOT!! worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Ha I watched that video today on YouTube and wondered whether that some was yours!
He he, yeah if I can get this bloody pier and deck done, then according to my current schedule, it should be able to be installed late April..?

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 07-03-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Got some more goodies in the last few days, including some angle adjustable solar panel mounting brackets, two 550amphr heavy duty AGM's and a Victron 30amp charger with Blue tooth, made a cable for the charger and just topped up the batteries when they arrived

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220306_125439.jpg)
115.4 KB55 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 07-03-2022 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am getting excited Mike.
I love your batteries and I think you did very good there...
I hope you are healing well.
alex
Old 09-03-2022, 11:28 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Mike how did you get your injures, but it is good to hear you are on the mend .When you said about getting concert delived I new it was not going to be cheap as each truck can only carry half it normal load ,and at the height you are at , it may be less then that ,but at the end of the day you will have one of the best observatory in Australia and that is something to look at.
Ian
Old 09-03-2022, 04:48 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
I am getting excited Mike.
I love your batteries and I think you did very good there...
I hope you are healing well.
alex
I would have liked to get more but cost became an issue, even if I have to replace them in 3 years time, had to reduce the outlay now to save my gonads

Yes the ribs are healing but they were sore again today...think I slept on'em funny?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Hi Mike how did you get your injures, but it is good to hear you are on the mend .When you said about getting concert delived I new it was not going to be cheap as each truck can only carry half it normal load ,and at the height you are at, it may be less then that, but at the end of the day you will have one of the best observatory in Australia and that is something to look at.
Ian
Cheers Ian, I hope so

I rolled my ankle (Grade 1 sprain) fell over, landing heavenly on my left side, on a hard dirt and gravel driveway, big thud and big groan! broken rib...

Mike
Old 09-03-2022, 06:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well I really wish I had bought double..not to is false economy..tell her I said so and then it will be ok and those things you risk ..do you really need them anymore?
Seriously however do not hesitate to run the genny..being so cold I would give them a go each morning...a couple of bucks against a grand..you just need to realise solar is not free..its a solution and not cheap really...anyways you are nearly there ...please keep the posts coming I get so excited following your progress...mine are playing tricks on me..I cut the fridge off in the van as I cant easily buy the food I want etc and now my worry is they seem to be holding too high a charge ... damn it I will connect to the grid..only $500k
Alex
Old 09-03-2022, 08:16 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I would have liked to get more but cost became an issue, even if I have to replace them in 3 years time, had to reduce the outlay now to save my gonads

Yes the ribs are healing but they were sore again today...think I slept on'em funny?

Mike

Cheers Ian, I hope so

I rolled my ankle (Grade 1 sprain) fell over, landing heavenly on my left side, on a hard dirt and gravel driveway, big thud and big groan! broken rib...

Mike
I think I may have heard you fall, at the time I though it was thunder
Old 09-03-2022, 10:55 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
I think I may have heard you fall, at the time I though it was thunder
I think that was meant to read "landing heavily"