Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2022, 07:26 AM
Andi89 (Andreas)

Wink German KRAUT is coming to Australia

Hello over there!

My name is Andi (33 years) from Germany. Im going to visit Australia from Aug to Oct '22 for a longer buisness trip in Darwin, NT - if nothing goes wrong I'm also a big fan of astronomy and a member of a local group of amateurs in Bavaria, Germany. We are known under the name "astronomy friends Ingolstadt" and are organizing sidewalk astronomy and also a bigger telescope meeting event called BTM (Bavarian Telescope Meeting) onetimes a year if it's possible (COVID...). You can find a link in my profil if u like to.

I have some years of experience in visual observation and also astrophotography, of course on the northern hemisphere It would be amazing to meet other amateurs in Australia for an observation but I don't have any connections, soooo this is my call to you I'm glad to hear from you. COVID injections and test twotimes a week... I have it all... I have to :'D

I try to transport a smaller telescope to AUS for lower magnifications (Skywatcher 4" f5 Richfielder + O3 filter) but I don't know the local sky quality in and around Darwin. If there is a chance I will go out of the light polution of course. If you live near to Darwin or have any tipps for me, also for sightseeing, that would be great. Thx!

Greetings Andi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_20220720-062557_Gallery.jpg)
213.0 KB142 views
Click for full-size image (IMG-20220719-WA0009.jpg)
78.5 KB105 views

Last edited by Andi89; 20-07-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 19-07-2022, 10:21 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Hi Andi,

Welcome to IIS. There was an astronomy group in Darwin within living memory so I expect that there are some local amateur astronomers who can help with specific advice (locations etc). I'm not in Darwin but eons ago I spent a few years in the tropics, including Darwin. You will be there during the end of the dry season and into the early build-up. I expect observing conditions will generally be very good but the frequency of cloud will increase and there will be some rain towards the end. There is useful information in the links below. You will see that the daily maximum will increase slightly during this period but the daily minimum increases noticeably and I expect that this is due to increased cloudiness at night.

Darwin itself obviously has all the light pollution created by 150,000 people but the light pollution map suggests that by about 20km outside Palmerston you will be in good rural skies and perhaps 50km past Palmerston you will be under Bortle 2 skies.

I don't know about the hazards posed by the local homo sapiens but do not set up near any waterbody. I wouldn't be within 100m of water lest I become dinner for a snappin' handbag. It's very very rare for crocs to take people on land but it has happened - near the water's edge. The other water-borne hazard is the mozzies and they fly further than the crocs walk. Don't take them lightly. Apart from discomfort they spread disease. I expect you will want to dress in long sleeves and trousers and perhaps use repellent - though of course be careful around optics.

I hope you like Darwin, my sister has recently returned and enjoyed herself. If you can find the time there is lots of things to do and places to visit nearby.

http://www.bom.gov.au/

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_014015.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outloo...erview/summary

https://www.cloudfreenight.com/index.html

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#...FFTFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 25-07-2022, 07:45 AM
AdamJL

Welcome, Andi

+1 to the suggestion about staying away from water.
Because I have to say that of all the overseas visitors that have a bad time here, it's the English that always get lost going bushwalking or driving longer distances than their car can handle and they get stuck in the outback, and the Germans who get taken by crocodiles.
Don't become a statistic!

Otherwise, enjoy the skies. Darwin can have a whole monsoon season with cloudy weather, hope you're prepared
But when it's clear, boy is it clear up there.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:08 AM
Andi89 (Andreas)

Thanks for your replies! I feel a little bit prepared now and I'm trying not to get taken by a crocodile *haha* 😀

Quote:
I expect you will want to dress in long sleeves and trousers and perhaps use repellent - though of course be careful around optics.
I will