Old 23-05-2022, 06:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Karahan tepe

I like studying many subjects and appreciate how lucky I am to live in an age where knowledge is so easy to access...I go back to a time where the public library was all you had ..you could borrow a couple of books and learning was a longer process than we now have with say YouTube.. there are snobs who run YouTube down but the reality is if you look around it you can find good stuff..heck I can go to lectures at various universities and watch/ listen to leaders in their particular field and frankly I resent these snobs who try to elevate themselves by intolerable judgement of YouTube as well as pretty much everything I expect just to hear themselves speak.

Anyways I find history not only interesting but believe it's study is critical to ones ability to observe our current world.

I post this video hopefully to introduce some folk to the prospect that there was a lot going on well before the fertile crescent and Stone Henge.

Let this serve as an introduction but mainly to get a glimpse and realisation of the sophistication of humans some 10,000 years ago.

https://youtu.be/oxNJcw6WbjI

Alex
Old 23-05-2022, 10:47 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Alex

I agree about Youtube, lots of valuable information.

I am slowly, working my through Barans heterocycle lectures, slow going as I am trying to understand the chemistry, and have to keep looking up bits and pieces.

Philip
Old 23-05-2022, 12:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi Alex

I agree about Youtube, lots of valuable information.

I am slowly, working my through Barans heterocycle lectures, slow going as I am trying to understand the chemistry, and have to keep looking up bits and pieces.

Philip
Look if you find any difficulty just ask.

He has I think two people to field questions and he may even deal with it before the class.

I know this because he says so at the start.

Never have I found a lecture so incredibly difficult to grasp.

I expect one needs specific knowledge before you attempt this stuff?

I was very interested in chemistry when I was 11 such that I read everything I could get my hands on my sourse being two cousins each of who were school teachers so I would borrow all their text books so that after a while I could pass Leaving Certificate Chemistry which demonstrates no more than if I decide to learn its not a problem but tell me I must and I am as dumb as a post.

I presume that you have a career to do with Chemistry as it seems to me you would need considerable study before you took on this stuff and further I gather that theses " chemists" are engaged by other chemists to produce products.

I guess I am asking if you can explain more about the context of these lectures.

I got into molecular biology and I would have watched over ten lectures before I started getting a small glimpse of what they were talking about but I feel that I would not be that lucky with these lectures as is seems very heavy going.

Alex
Old 23-05-2022, 05:32 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice one alex, actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Z-Dqljv5c popped up in my yt feed and watched it last night.
Old 23-05-2022, 07:47 PM
iborg (Philip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I guess I am asking if you can explain more about the context of these lectures.

Hi Alex

Yes, the lectures are work related, after >20 years working with peptides, I consider myself to have been lucky enough to obtain a position at CSIRO, initially doing what is called flow chemistry. However, having been in a fairly narrow field, I am trying to broaden my horizons, the heterocycle lectures are one of the ways I am doing that.

If anyone is interested, here is a brief intro to flow chemistry. Skip the first minute though.

Philip
Old 23-05-2022, 11:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi Alex

Yes, the lectures are work related, after >20 years working with peptides, I consider myself to have been lucky enough to obtain a position at CSIRO, initially doing what is called flow chemistry. However, having been in a fairly narrow field, I am trying to broaden my horizons, the heterocycle lectures are one of the ways I am doing that.

If anyone is interested, here is a brief intro to flow chemistry. Skip the first minute though.

Philip
Thank you Phillip that was most interesting.

Alex
Old 23-05-2022, 11:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
nice one alex, actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Z-Dqljv5c popped up in my yt feed and watched it last night.
Hi Russell
You video was the one I wanted to post. I had watched it days ago but when I thought to post it do you think I could find it? When the one I posted popped up I went with it.

There is so much excavation needed at various sites in this area.

I regard what we should learn from here is extremely significant but honestly I think there are those who really do not want to know I assume because these ruins paint a picture not envisaged by many historians and as you know we are "told" that it all started between those two rivers ...even the importance of the Sumarians to me seems to be sidelined and in my view they are more important than anything else..heck we owe most everything to them.

They are the sourse of most of the biblical stories for example and apparently gave us beer and our current division of time...the only hint I had in school was being told to read the epic Gilgamesh but merely because is was "the first book".

Their role and writings should be understood by all...not to study them is to go thru life with your head in the sand and when you study them you should be able to understand exactly what I mean.

The work of Martin Sweatman is particularly interesting as he is convinced the animal carvings at Gobeki tepi a similar site represent the constellations ..in fact his hypothesis is that early cave paintings were about the constellations...and he makes a compelling case I might add.

And of course understanding the constellations indeed the zodiac etc is particularly relevant to understanding the world's dominant religions as are the early writtings from the Sumerians which fortunately are well preserved and able to be read.

Anyways they think these sites were pre agriculture which I find hard to accept as it is inconceivable that Hunter gathers would have had the time required to put these places together..at this point the ruins seem to be temple like in nature so whether they had agriculture is not going to be confirmed or not from what is there I expect...although full excavation may point conclusively to how they made a living which may be found in lesser outlying buildings.

Alex
Old 24-05-2022, 08:04 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Alex

You mentioned reading ancient Sumerian, I suspect about the same number of people would be able to read the information on early computer systems!

Take care of yourself.

Philip