Old 23-05-2022, 05:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Coping with the wet.

One tends to think only about one self and how the world is often not dealing them the best hand.

The recent rain I find is "getting to me" and less than happy with the hand being dealt.

I have been thru what some could call a difficult time for the past 18 months if you focus only upon my health issues but I dont see it as a negative but as with all things there is a positive you can look at to make it all acceptable.

My positive was forming a determination not to waste a single moment or entertain any negative thought or indulge one single thing that did not entirely suit me or if I had to perhaps suffer something I did not like, like weekly blood tests, to turn the event into something cheerful..I would see my blood tests as a nice drive to town and the opportunity of seeing a nice lady who would hold my arm..that sort of approach...it became fun.

I used the realization that life is very short and finite to justify extravagant expenditure on astronomy gear that once I would not buy, it was not the money but such behaviour I felt was childish in effect given I see hobbies as an accumulation of toys. I already felt my expenditure to date was flippant...but the cancer thing changed my attitude and so I spent a fortune ( to me) on a new scope, a huge mount and two cameras and a red sports car to boot..I mean that is the epitome of stupid right there...happily I love that little car as it fits like it was built to fit me..the auto and manual paddles on the steering wheel is perfect for me..

BUT this rain ..this seemingly non stop rain..it is getting to me ...well it did yesterday prior to that I lived with it telling myself being here is better than bushfires..and it is really..however yesterday cabin crazy hit me bad and I suffered ...at least until I got a grip and I did so by facing reality which is there is always someone else doing it harder than you are and that alone is good reason not to grizzle.

I usually don't grizzle and dislike hearing folk who are well off by any standard complain about trivialities but here I was thinking about how terrible it was that I could not drive my little red car out the drive or play with my telescope toys...AND then I thought "I wonder how those poor devils in Lismore are going with this added rain" and thinking about their situation some with every thing gone brought me to my senses.

We know one poor chap who like me lived in a caravan and had a nice car, an old mint mustang ..his pride and joy and like me he had his van set up neat functional and personalised..folk say to me how can you lived in a van but they don't understand just how neat it is .. now that poor devil lost his car..gone they know not where and the van totally trashed and a minimum of possessions could he salvage...so one should not grizzle.along side that poor man..and I guess he could rationalise that unlike some he was alive.

If my scopes get mold and the rag top on the car falls apart..my worst fears..I am still better off...

I share my thoughts because they may reach someone who is facing times more difficult than normal and I sincerely hope that I can help them rebuild their fortitude and cherish the day.

Alex
Old 23-05-2022, 07:24 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Don't sweat the things you can't change...

At 60k AUD a year you're in the top 10% of the wealthiest people in the world... the "Super Rich".

Both life and relativity are matter's of perspectives...
Old 23-05-2022, 08:21 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
I hear you and can understand your thoughts and feelings about the wet weather and having all your new equipment just sitting there waiting to be used, extremely frustrating to say the least.
The north coast and north western part of NSW has not had a decent break in this weather pattern since the start of this year, with records broken everywhere. This has been an unprecedented weather event which hopefully won’t occur again for a long long time to come.
You look at the forecasting and yes La Niña is weakening but we have traditionally our wettest month coming up in June.
We will get some more stable clear weather soon, exactly when not sure but soon.
I’m sure once you snag a few clear nights up there ( hopefully soon ) it will be so enjoyable and wonderful to see the Milky Way plastered across the night sky again. Getting that big RASA finally up and running will be so exciting and rewarding as well.
We are allowed to grizzle and grumble , it’s part of our DNA , hang in there and clear skies will be upon us sooner than you think.
Take Care
Best always
Martin
Old 23-05-2022, 08:35 AM
JA

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a thing and in the colder months and colder places can really hit mood.

Try and stay warm and get ANY Sun when it's out and keep up on your Vitamin D. You will feel better. Stay +VE

Best
JA
Old 23-05-2022, 06:07 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a thing and in the colder months and colder places can really hit mood.

Try and stay warm and get ANY Sun when it's out and keep up on your Vitamin D. You will feel better. Stay +VE

Best
JA
Hmm, exactly where on the east coast can you go to get away from it?
Old 23-05-2022, 06:28 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Hmm, exactly where on the east coast can you go to get away from it?
Good point you can't get away from it, but you can mitigate its effects somewhat, as far as mood is concerned: Just grab any sun when it's out and go with Vitamin D especially if you have tested low for it and exercise/walk to get some of those feel good chemicals.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 23-05-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 23-05-2022, 06:29 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

nowhere can you get away from this weather and all modelling i look at looks about september october
Old 24-05-2022, 05:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is getting bad here the whole area is just one big piece of very fluid mud..I walked around the van and my walking stick would go a foot into the ground and would go further...I had to struggle back and get one that has like a foot ...it is very worrying I can see everything sliding down the creek and mold has hit in the observatory I have be down spraying vinegar around and will make up some copper sulphate solution and go over everything tomorrow.
But the good news is that he stars are out ..all six of them .. I dont understand why but this past couple of days is just so much worse than anything over the past months ...I thought the ground was saturated months ago but as I said this last week is different in a very bad way...I think I better stop watching sink holes on youtube but you can see depressions appearing all over the place
which given the land was cleared recently you could expect settling but I thought that was over months ago.

I hope I got a good dose of vitamin d given my experience with the bogged mower and the resulting Sun burn.
I have had to run the genny every day for over six weeks and before that probably should have been running it more than I did.
Although I did get some Sun today but its raining again now.
Alex
Old 24-05-2022, 06:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
I guess with all that rain , mud , mold and dampness , a few Stars around even just for a brief period is an enjoyable sight to see.
Even on clear moonless nights in Sydney all I can see is the Crux and pointers ( excluding summertime) and a few bright stars , that’s it.
When I’m down south at my Dome ( and it’s clear ) it’s awe inspiring looking up at that Milky Way plastered across the blackness of space , truly mind blowing.
I am fortunate to have somewhere to observe and image under beautiful skies away from Sydney’s worsening skyglow.
The long season of cloud and rain has been an absolute pain in the butt , however the thought of dark skies 3 hours away does help reduce some of the frustration.

Martin
Old 24-05-2022, 07:03 PM
glend (Glen)

I too saw a few stars tonight, while putting the bins out. Just a clear patch overhead to the west, a sucker hole. By the time i turned on the mount shroud heater the stars were gone.
While watching the Newcastle NBN weather report this evening, the comment was thrown out that La Nina could last until next summer. It might be time to bring the CGX head into the house and tuck it away in a closet with a dehumidifier canister.

Btw, make sure you get your influenza jab, my daughter and her husband have the Flu (in Sydney) and it's pretty bad. She expects her three kids will have it by next week, and none of them had the Flu jab. I saw a report today that said there had been 12,000 flu cases so far in May, in NSW. I had my flu jab several weeks ago.

Update: Haha, 15 minutes later it's raining again.

Last edited by glend; 24-05-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 24-05-2022, 07:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I too saw a few stars tonight, while putting the bins out. Just a clear patch overhead to the west, a sucker hole. By the time i turned on the mount shroud heater the stars were gone.
While watching the Newcastle NBN weather report this evening, the comment was thrown out that La Nina could last until next summer. It might be time to bring the CGX head into the house and tuck it away in a closet with a dehumidifier canister.

Btw, make sure you get your influenza jab, my daughter and her husband have the Flu (in Sydney) and it's pretty bad. She expects her three kids will have it by next week, and none of them had the Flu jab. I saw a report today that said there had been 12,000 flu cases so far in May, in NSW. I had my flu jab several weeks ago.

Update: Haha, 15 minutes later it's raining again.
You are right Glen I keep forgetting probably because I can't get out my drive again.
I will ring my Pharmacy and get started...

Not seeing any humans other than the girls on a food drop off at the front gate I should be ok.
If I get out I will get one.

Alex