Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Optimal Optical train advice needed

Greetings all

Due to other things in life going on..I have had a little hiatus in imaging. Since then I have acquired some new equipment and welcome advice on an optimal imaging train.

Okay..so

Equipment that I want to work with is

Orion ED102
William Optics 0.8x Reducer/Flattener (comes with 16.5mm and 21mm spacers)
ASI294 MCPro (may also use, on occasion my 6D)

I welcome advice on optimal train with pics if possible.

Cheers Petra
Old 11-05-2022, 11:10 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Hi Petra you stick the flattener straight into the refactor then work out the recommended spacing (if any) with your spacers then the camera. Usually the spacing is measured from the glass at the back of the flattener to the sensor on the camera that might be recessed into the camera body. Usually between 6mm up to 19mm depending on the camera model. So if you measure your spacing from the camera face you have to deduct that distance. Clear as mud
Old 11-05-2022, 12:50 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Okay thanks Marc, I was hoping that someone with a similar set up might be able to provide a pic or have a difinitive calculation on this. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Hi Petra you stick the flattener straight into the refactor then work out the recommended spacing (if any) with your spacers then the camera. Usually the spacing is measured from the glass at the back of the flattener to the sensor on the camera that might be recessed into the camera body. Usually between 6mm up to 19mm depending on the camera model. So if you measure your spacing from the camera face you have to deduct that distance. Clear as mud