Old 01-05-2022, 09:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

StarTools can't read file..

I stacked subs in DSS and saved the result as usual but when I tried to open it in StarTools it says " Could not read file. Make sure image file is a fits file , an uncompressed, IBM PC byte-order TIFF file or a PGN file.
Images from the previous night after stacking are accepted..I just can not figure out what I am doing or have done that is different to usual...
Any ideas what I have done to get this result?
Alex
Old 02-05-2022, 12:06 AM
glend (Glen)

What does the file extension say? Is file size an issue? Can you open the file with another software app? Check you DSS file settings as well.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Extention says tiff, file size conservative, file opens in Photoshop.

I have checked DSS settings and I have not found anything.

I feel it must be something in DSS so I am going to go thru everything yet again...

I had hoped someone had experienced similar and come up with the thing that I have overlooked.

I just can't think of anything that was different from one night to the next...maybe something in the acquisition in Sharpcap ..I did try a live stack, first time, and recall got a message later that my image was something, a term I can't recall but that seemed to pass...

Maybe there is something in Sharpcap????

I am not worried about saving the data as it was just testing stuff but I am worried for the future stacks...

Alex
Old 02-05-2022, 07:18 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Have a look at the attached
Might be something there you overlooked
Cheers
Martin

Important !!!
DSS Settings (Fits )
Are you using a OSC or Mono camera ?

If using a OSC you must go into Options ( LHS ) >Settings > Raw FITS DPP Settings then select FITS tab at top and “tick” the box that says Monochrome 16bit FITS Files are Raw files created by DSLR or Color CCD camera

If using a Mono camera leave this little box “unticked”

Your Capture Software
Make sure in your capture software you are taking images with FITS files
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Prerequisites for Startools.pdf (62.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Deep Sky Stacker Basic Procedures.pdf (27.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
In addition to the cross checks my other post , make sure you save your stacked image in DSS as follows -

FITS Image ( 32 bit / ch integer )

See photo with my settings including radio button settings

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (D4E54033-D19F-40A1-A78B-FFE3DEDC4076.jpg)
233.2 KB31 views
Old 02-05-2022, 10:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin ..I just went to the Post Office to pick up my light panel...but they sent me a microphone ...damn it...the invoice listed a panel...so hopefully they send me what I paid for.

Alex

I an going thru DSS later today so you help is most welcome.

Thanks again.

Alex
Old 02-05-2022, 01:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I dont know how it changed, I must have bumped it or something..I almost said earlier no it is on 32 but when I looked it was 16.. so I stacked everything again ( my darks and flats etc test) and saved it correctly...in that I used what shows in the photo here as I could not get fits to appear.
Anyways I took the stacked image and happily was able to open it in startools.
Only 12 subs at 60 seconds at 103 gain..lucky to have got that given the cloud situation...so although nothing to get the excited about but I am excited because I find I can get darks and flats ..ruff but when I change my microphone for the light panel flats should improve..and so happy about DSS saving situation as I had looked at everything but...so emotions are on the rise and I am going to Tabby to post off this microphone so they can send me the light panel...while stacking I started drilling a hole in the floor under the EQ8 to tidy the electrical leads...three layers so it is hard going..and there are three to do...

Thanks again Martin ..so obvious but not so when up close like me and thinking of more extreme reasons for an explanation.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20220502133534_resize_83.jpg)
210.6 KB32 views