Old 30-04-2022, 04:01 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Centaurus A

While no where near as good as the two posts of this object below me, I'm still amazed at what the ASI224mc can achieve on Deep Sky targets. This one I shot last weekend with a 6 inch Newt from Bortle 6 skies. The camera or Sharpcap did do some weird things to the 45 x 2min subs I took. There were some strange gradients to work on, some Amp Glow and they were stretched to a yellow colour cast which I initially couldn't remove. I opened the subs up in ASI Studio and they looked washed out and yellow. I reset the ASI Studio histogram and the subs looked completely normal. When I saved the sub with the reset histogram as a .tif file, it changed to mono with a very obvious matrix background. So I saved it as .png file to see if there was a difference and bingo, the .png file showed normal colour bayered characteristics. So I did this to all 45 subs and then saved them back to 16 bit .tif files in Photoshop for stacking in DSS. Very time consuming. My M83 I shot on the same night had none of these problems at all, so something changed in the settings when I shot NGC 5128 that I was unaware of. Oh well, you live and learn as they say!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CentaurusA_6inchNewt.jpg)
204.6 KB103 views
Old 30-04-2022, 05:12 PM
RyanJones

A good effort Michael.

May I suggest if you are not using flats, they will help you with your gradients.

Also this is quite cropped but there is evidence of coma across the top of the image. Are you using a coma corrector ?

Well done for your efforts so far keep going !
Old 30-04-2022, 07:09 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks for the response and the advice Ryan. Yes, in future I will shoot flats with this camera. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes with such a tiny sensor so I'll give them a go next time I use it. No CC used either, I thought the tiny sensor would not include any of the peripheral aberrations of the 6 inch mirror but it is an f5 scope and has obviously shown a CC is needed for this uncropped image.
Old 30-04-2022, 07:46 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Thanks for the response and the advice Ryan. Yes, in future I will shoot flats with this camera. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes with such a tiny sensor so I'll give them a go next time I use it. No CC used either, I thought the tiny sensor would not include any of the peripheral aberrations of the 6 inch mirror but it is an f5 scope and has obviously shown a CC is needed for this uncropped image.
Wow ! Uncropped ! That is a tiny sensor ! It’s unfortunate that it didn’t escape the coma then. Well done