Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-04-2022, 03:37 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

First images from my new scope

Hello all,

I'm happy to say that I finally got a chance to catch some long-travelling photons on my new SW72ED. (Well, new to me, but Wookie's ex-scope.)

Conditions were not good - a thin layer of either high cloud or ground-hugging smoke haze, too much light pollution, and I totally failed to polar align correctly. (I couldn't see any stars through the Star Adventurer's polar scope, so it was a best guess effort. )

First target was the Jewel Box and despite having to throw away ~80% of my subs I have an image I'd call reasonable. (Stupid "smart" power bank turned itself off because the SA wasn't drawing enough current. A dew heater at full power fixed that, though... )

Second target is - I think - the Sombrero galaxy. All I can tell is that it's galaxy-shaped, and was somewhere between Spico and Corvus.

I saw Antares and Scorpius rising in the east but haven't yet managed to get a good image from the subs I did capture.

Subs were stacked in Sequator and tweaked in Affinity Photo. Yes, I know, all my images need more work, the Jewel Box stars are over-exposed and the focus could be better. (I blame getting old for worsening eyesight. )

Equipment:
Sky Watcher EvoStar 72ED + 0.85 flattener
Nikon D7100 DSLR
Star Adventurer 2i

Cheers,
V
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jewel Box from Sequator scaled.jpg)
167.5 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (Strange Smudge from Sequator scaled.jpg)
96.7 KB71 views
Old 25-04-2022, 03:47 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

great capture of the colour in the background stars... so good potential for some great shots at least.
Old 25-04-2022, 03:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Steve..It's not the Sombrero as it is horizontal and your image is a galaxy that is definitely vertical...no actually I am sure it is the Sombrero and I guess it's angle must be because you are down South...kidding just in case you may not be sure.

Those images are a great result first time out and you certainly can be proud of them.

May I give you my old method of finding PA ..during the day align your main scope with your polar scope so what you have selected is in the middle of the field of view in both scopes..the top of a distant light pole or tree...later at night when set up do a time exposure which will show little arcs such that you can work out where to move your mount to have those arcs center in the center of your image..it works rather well surprisingly.

AND if you find your stars are oval just make your subs shorter and take more...

You have done well and I expect with such a great start it won't be long before you will be helping me rather than me helping you.

Alex
Old 26-04-2022, 05:30 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Thanks guys!

This hobby is expensive, frustrating at times and so dependant on so many factors out of our control. I love it. :-)