Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 30-05-2022, 11:44 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

your thoughts on astrophotography accesories

Hello all,

I'm looking to hear peoples ideas on what they would like to see on an imaging rig that is currently not on the market or is scarcely available.

It could be something that goes between the back of the scope and camera, (in the image train) to make life as an astrophotographer easier. It could be a bracket that holds a computer or power box that is mounted on the dovetail of the scope. Maybe an integrated adapter such as a tilter and manual rotator all in one compact unit that would free up back focus space.

What ever it is, please, post your ideas here. I have the capacity to produce items in numbers, so this wouldn't be a one off custom design for each person (although I'm happy to do a custom one ), rather something that can be used on many setups.

Cheers, Joshua

Last edited by Joshua Bunn; 03-06-2022 at 11:30 PM.
Old 31-05-2022, 12:41 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Hi Joshua,
I was considering grabbing a Pegasus Pocket Power Box Advance Gen2 but mounting it turned out to be a bit problematic for me as I wanted to be able to switch it between two OTAs. My ideal setup would be a dovetail with a riser that would fit into a standard finder shoe. To be honest, I’ve gone off the idea for now and have wired my rig in another way. But the power box ideally needs a way of mounting it onto an OTA that isn’t permanent and doesn’t require a screwdriver to remove it and doesn’t need the weight of an accessory rail.
Old 31-05-2022, 08:53 AM
h0ughy (David)

Mine would be ability to mount 3 scopes on a mount with losmandy style connections in a triangle with ability to synchronise to central scope, likes for solar imaging etc can do white light and haplha at same time and can have one scope left for deepsky. That way your ready to roll in the observatory with everything all setup without having to change a thing, or can image say with wo132 and wide field at same time with redcat51 and do daylight solar with Lunt 60. In a done side by side doesn't work. Mount for guidecscope as well
Old 31-05-2022, 08:55 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking to hear peoples ideas on what they would like to see on an imaging rig that is currently not on the market or is scarcely available.

It could be something that goes between the back of the scope and camera, (in the image train) to make life as an astrophotographer easier. It could be a bracket that holds a computer or power box that is mounted on the dovetail of the scope. Maybe an integrated adapter such as a tilter and manual rotator all in one compact unit that would free up back focus space.

What ever it is, please, post your ideas here. I have the capacity to produce items in numbers, so this wouldn't be a one off custom design for each person, rather something that can be used on many setups.

Cheers, Joshua
A precise tilter and rotater that does not take up much backfocus sounds like a valuable adapter. It would have to be strong to handle weight without flex.

Basically anyone who uses these small pixelled CMOS cameras needs to adjust for tilt. Being also able to rotate without introducing tilt (some Tak CCAs have been known to introduce tilt) would be valuable for framing.

Full frame cameras need it most then the APSc sized then the smaller sensors. Fast scopes need it more than longer focal length scopes.

Greg.
Old 31-05-2022, 10:32 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
It could be a bracket that holds a computer or power box that is mounted on the dovetail of the scope.
Ha, this sounds familiar
Dean also sees the merit, it appears!

You should show off the one we've got planned and see if there's any interest (although that one is specific to PLL hole spacing, it can be "generalised" fairly easily)

Anyway + 1 to the idea of a very accurate rotator and/or tilt adjuster. That would make my day.
Old 31-05-2022, 04:50 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Not really to do with AP per say, but I'd guess marketable items might be oversizing user grips/screws options on the scopes. Similar to items built for arthritic complaints - larger grip pens, thicker handles on the can openers etc.

Larger tool free screw heads, for locking EP's in and associated tubes/adaptors, also handy for the glove users.

A slip over larger wheel for focuser wheels, allows for finer focus and a little more forgiving if you have arty in the hands.

I know I have seen lots of posts from people looking to extend their astronomy as illness or age make themselves felt.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 31-05-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 31-05-2022, 05:23 PM
AdamJL

I like that idea as well.
Old 31-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Is there a market for Astrodon-style large OAGs but at local prices?
I have a MMOAG - it’s amazing - but costly…
Old 31-05-2022, 08:41 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
+ 1 for the MMOAG. Fantastic bits of kit. A rotator would also be good but set it up so a motor could be added later on?

Cheers
Old 01-06-2022, 01:00 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thanks for writing guys. there are some good suggestions here, some of which might be better suited as a as needed basis or custom type job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
+ 1 for the MMOAG. Fantastic bits of kit. A rotator would also be good but set it up so a motor could be added later on?

Cheers

Thanks David,
I also like the idea of developing an Aussie made OAG. regarding the rotator, I will start on a manual design, first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post

Ill see what I can do mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Not really to do with AP per say, but I'd guess marketable items might be oversizing user grips/screws options on the scopes. Similar to items built for arthritic complaints - larger grip pens, thicker handles on the can openers etc.

Larger tool free screw heads, for locking EP's in and associated tubes/adaptors, also handy for the glove users.

A slip over larger wheel for focuser wheels, allows for finer focus and a little more forgiving if you have arty in the hands.

I know I have seen lots of posts from people looking to extend their astronomy as illness or age make themselves felt.

Hi Steve, sounds like it could be a good thing. I'm happy to do these on an as needed basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Ha, this sounds familiar
Dean also sees the merit, it appears!

You should show off the one we've got planned and see if there's any interest (although that one is specific to PLL hole spacing, it can be "generalised" fairly easily)

Anyway + 1 to the idea of a very accurate rotator and/or tilt adjuster. That would make my day.

Hey Adam, Ill put up some pictures of your completed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A precise tilter and rotater that does not take up much backfocus sounds like a valuable adapter. It would have to be strong to handle weight without flex.

Basically anyone who uses these small pixelled CMOS cameras needs to adjust for tilt. Being also able to rotate without introducing tilt (some Tak CCAs have been known to introduce tilt) would be valuable for framing.

Full frame cameras need it most then the APSc sized then the smaller sensors. Fast scopes need it more than longer focal length scopes.

Greg.

This is something I am going to prototype, and as discussed in PM, I'll send one out to you to try.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Mine would be ability to mount 3 scopes on a mount with losmandy style connections in a triangle with ability to synchronise to central scope, likes for solar imaging etc can do white light and haplha at same time and can have one scope left for deepsky. That way your ready to roll in the observatory with everything all setup without having to change a thing, or can image say with wo132 and wide field at same time with redcat51 and do daylight solar with Lunt 60. In a done side by side doesn't work. Mount for guidecscope as well

Hi David. Do you mean a pointing style like one of the two attached?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220531_230933.jpg)
58.8 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (20220531_230919.jpg)
89.2 KB31 views
Old 01-06-2022, 01:13 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Dean,

For some reason the quoting is not working for me.
I'm doing a computer / Pegasus Power box bracket for AdamJL at the moment, maybe something like that might interest you.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2022, 07:35 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Hi David. Do you mean a pointing style like one of the two attached?
Yes something similar more largest scope in middle with smaller on the triangle either side
Old 01-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Yes something similar more largest scope in middle with smaller on the triangle either side

Looking from the back view?
Old 01-06-2022, 09:31 AM
h0ughy (David)

Yes
Old 01-06-2022, 12:01 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Hi Dean,

For some reason the quoting is not working for me.
I'm doing a computer / Pegasus Power box bracket for AdamJL at the moment, maybe something like that might interest you.

Thanks
I've seen that a number of mini pc's have vesa compliant mounting, something that works with that would be good.
Mark
Old 01-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Takahashi owners have to fork out big coin for the Tak finder quick release. FQ-R-1. It’s not a complicated design. Half goes on the finder, other half on scope. It just lets you take the darn finder off! Might be of interest…
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (611A0D0E-0E2D-4DE3-8A3E-389DFFBDC439.jpeg)
11.1 KB26 views
Old 01-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
I've seen that a number of mini pc's have vesa compliant mounting, something that works with that would be good.
Mark
Is this what you refer to, Mark?
https://www.oneforall-australia.com....andard#/step-1
Old 01-06-2022, 03:54 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
I guess...LOL

This is the one that comes with MeLE mini pc's. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg
Old 02-06-2022, 06:44 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

A big impossible 72mm OAG only 20mm thick with at least one dovetail scope side adapter including a short t2 threaded guide camera mount.