Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-09-2021, 03:41 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Tak FSQ-106ED Extender-Q 1.6x

The FSQ-106ED series are considered by some to be astrographs and therefore not wholly suited for visual use. When I fitted a CAA (Camera Angle Adjuster), standard on the EDXx model's, the shorter back focus precluded the use of the 1.6x extender. The solution was found from Peter Tan's "Sun East Technology Co." in Hong Kong by arranging various Tak adaptors I already had, the only thing needed was a couple of M5x6 SS grub screws. This set up helps contain a fair portion of the adaptors within the CAA thus making it possible for the image to come to focus, focus travel being quite short on the FSQ-106ED. Part No.17 adaptor by the way is normally used with the QE 0.73x reducer so it is was handy to have for the extender. The FSQ is f5 (530mm) focal length in its standard form and f8 (850mm) with the extender.

The extender does not appear to degrade the already sharp contrasty views, in fact it is now ideally suited for planetary viewing. With a 5mm eyepiece it gives 170x which is excellent for Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FSQ-106ED - EXT - 11.jpg)
189.5 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (FSQ-106ED - EXT - 51.jpg)
209.2 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (EDX3ext - 2.jpg)
75.5 KB26 views

Last edited by UniPol; 24-09-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 24-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
The FSQ-106ED series are considered by some to be astrographs and therefore not wholly suited for visual use. When I fitted a CAA (Camera Angle Adjuster), standard on the EDXx model's, the shorter back focus precluded the use of the 1.6x extender. The solution was found from Peter Tan's "Sun East Technology Co." in Hong Kong by arranging various Tak adaptors I already had, the only thing needed was a couple of M5x6 SS grub screws. This set up helps contain a fair portion of the adaptors within the CAA thus making it possible for the image to come to focus, focus travel being quite short on the FSQ-106ED. Part No.17 adaptor by the way is normally used with the QE 0.73x reducer so it is was handy to have for the extender. The FSQ is f5 (530mm) focal length in its standard form and f8 (850mm) with the extender.

The extender does not appear to degrade the already sharp contrasty views, in fact it is now ideally suited for planetary viewing. With a 5mm eyepiece it gives 170x which is excellent for Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon.
That’s a great fix Steve, the FSQ106 is a fine visual scope, I used mine with the Extender 1.5x ED.
Old 25-09-2021, 09:22 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Thanks Matt. I hadn't thought to try the 1.5x extender on the FSQ-106ED, I have one for my FSQ-85EDX, would be an interesting comparison, cheers.