Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Ramsay11 (Stephen)

Losmandy Gemini 2 on GM8

I use a Losmandy GM8 with Digital Drives and at this time, strictly for visual observation with a 120mm EON refractor. The convenience of spending more time viewing and less time locating would suggest the next step is Go-To functionality via a Gemini 2 Retrofit. It is expensive $1600+ and where I live, one could purchase a Sky-Watcher EQ6 or Orion Atlas EQ-G and have some change left over. I do enjoy the relative portability of the GM8 and have no desire in owning 2 equatorial mounts - my wife counts equipment!!!

Does anyone have any experience and willing to offer their advice on the Gemini 2 for a GM8?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Given that you're using a refractor, and could easily get a fov of more than 30' of arc, why not use the excellent setting circles already on your mount?
Just a thought....
Andrew.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
stevous67 (Steve M)

Does the Gemini 2 work? As far as I'm aware, the Gemini 2 does not provide accurate gotos. A good friend of mine is currently working with the Gemini programers to get the accuracy. Currently, over half the sky, he can sync on one star, try to goto to another star (misses), then attempts to goto back to the original star and clean misses again.

I am surprised more visual users are not complaining? Those with laptops/cameras can plate solve onto targets.

Ive got the Gemini 1, and it works well.

Steve
Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 AM
gbeal

Well, if the counting is an issue, and you want goto, sell the GM8 and get the EQ6 (NEQ6 in my case).
An alternative is an alt-az mount, with DSC's built in, the T-Rex or Half Hitch or DM6 perhaps, assuming you are completely visual.
Gary