Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
chris1964 (Chris)

Gstar ex clr

Hi all. This is my first post.

I currently have a MEADE ETX 125 scope (would like to move up to an 8 inch eventually) and would like to do some deep sky imaging. I am tossing up betgween DSI and GSTAR colour. Would the GSTAR give me some decent colour images with this size scope?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
ReaPerMan (Paul)
Work & Play at Night

Hi Chris,

I can only speak from my personal experience with a Gstar-Ex BW camera. I researched a number of issues in regard to which of the Gstar camera's to get and I came to the conclusion that if you wanted better sensitivity and resolution then the BW camera was the way to go. This of course does make it necessary to have RGB filters if you want to get colour pics. Its a bit more 'mucking around' but worth it in the end. If you want a hassel free experience and to be able to show off live colour pics of M42 etc to friends then the Gstar colour is the way you should go. If you choose the BW option MyAstro has a good kit including the filters for a very good price. My extra two cents is to tell you to get either the hand piece control or the serial control cable to allow you to change settings from your lap top. It gets to be a bit of a pain to adjust those little switches on the back of the camera to change your settings. here are two example pics of what the BW Gstar can do in both BW and with colour filters.

all the best

paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42- processed.jpg)
173.9 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (mare crisium 2.jpg)
192.3 KB51 views
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Hi Chris,
I have bought the Gstar ex clr.
mmmmm I'm still trying to get my head around the parameters to get a decent picture out the cam.
Moon looks fantastic!
M42 yeah I can see it but maybe I've got the parameters wrong ( eventhough I followed the instuctions......)
It's got colour but a bit washed out.
Saturn was a bit of a disappointment. I had a better view with an eyepiece.

Thats my initial observations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have only used it four times.
So if you are prepared to muck around with settings etc....
my scopes used are SW ed80 refractor and SW 254 Newt .
Bartman