Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 01-07-2021, 11:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I got to the car and heck its rather big and probably too big to be managed safely in the garden trolly so I gave up on moving it given my "assistant" will be here tomorrow we can take it straight into the observatory and put it on the mount..A cop out its true but I feel one cant be pig headed when facts suggest you need to do better...I choose to do better by not doing anything..besides I cant have a go with daughter watching ...if she wasnt here no doubt the box would look smaller and the garden trolly would look bigger...its all covered by Special Relativity.
I will not feel the guilt generated by defeat but take pride in my ability to accept change and adjust.
As to opening th box in the car ..that is not a good idea either....because the thing is not laying flat.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 12:21 PM
AdamJL

Congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing images from this setup
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Congrats!!! Looking forward to seeing images from this setup
Thank you ...hopefully not too far off.

If anyone is still there I have a question I will ask here although maybe I should ask in the appropriate section..however..lets assume everything goes together it seems that I will be without filters for some time so I expect I can take photos without a filter and they should in effect be equivalent to a luminance photo..Is that correct?

Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 01:18 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you ...hopefully not too far off.

If anyone is still there I have a question I will ask here although maybe I should ask in the appropriate section..however..lets assume everything goes together it seems that I will be without filters for some time so I expect I can take photos without a filter and they should in effect be equivalent to a luminance photo..Is that correct?

Alex
Pretty much , except that with a luminance filter compared with no filter, the luminance filter will restrict the bandwidth to approximately the visible light range, cutting out any infrared and UV. For example a Baader UV/IR Luminnace filter will pass the 400 - 680nm range. Reducing the infrared in particular can be a benefit in some systems as it may result in bloated stars

Best
JA
Old 01-07-2021, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you very much JA ... getting closer by the hour.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 02:04 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

What sized filters are the draws set up for? It might suffer a bit of band shift due to the high speed optics but I have a 2" ZWO IR cut filter here that I used to use with my old ASI294 (Which is a poor name, they are a UV-IR cut, effectively a luminance filter) The 2" is an M48 thread.

If you want it I can send it up to you.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The drawers are 2 inch.
Paul that is most kind of you however at this stage I will hold back until I make sure I that I dont need some sort of spacer etc but that gives me more appealing options. Let me get the thing set up and the Laptop etc and I will visit this again...that is wonderful of you and I thank you for being so kind and thoughtful.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 02:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Let me know, if it is useful to you, you can have it. It does not fit anywhere in either of my image trains now, and isn't needed anyway as one camera has a UV-IR cut window (The 2600MC) and the other a full filter wheel (The 2600MM)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Paul I have taken up your offer in a PM as it appears I have a long wait for my set.
I did ring John at Bintel to see if he had anything, a Ha specifically, but unfortunately nothing...I tell you it sure is hard having in the car and not being able to take it out of the box... tomorrow..I am actually getting excited in a reserved and dignified way of course...thanks again you are a champion.
Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 04:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Done, it will be on it's way tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Out of curiosity Alex ... what are you mounting your precious onto?
Onto the EQ 6 I purchased about 6 months ago. It is on a pier so one can only hope but I did ask here and the answers were quiet positive.

I plan short exposures so I am hoping it can manage...I would buy an eq8 but the waiting time has put me off...maybe a Paramount even..but because I had to struggle for cash all my life I find it hard to buy either but looking at a short life expectancy I find myself saying "what the heck just buy it" ... I just think of what I can buy with $16k or $8k ( not that I will) but a good sailing boat or a neat sports car...heck I bought an ultra lite plane for $5k once... Might get the sports car and a winch to lower myself in...I am so lucky here as one can drive to the river and it is a great driving experience...and no traffic or police, great corners and from the river go back to Tabby (for cofee) on the West with a straight that you can do any top speed you like then up a neat demanding mountain road...damn it I will get one

Anyways the plan is see how it goes on the EQ6 ...the other thing is I am thinking of getting something to do galaxies and then an EQ8 is a must..or Paramount...but with the cancer thing I still dont know if I can make long term plans...I think also my concern is not walking well and blood pressure in the back of my mind so I just need to start again and see what I can do really.

Sorry you asked?

But thanks for asking I can think more about a mount...and a sports car

Alex
Old 01-07-2021, 07:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Done, it will be on it's way tomorrow.
Thank you Paul I greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness.

Alex
Old 02-07-2021, 11:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great progress the van has been cleaned, the observatory has been cleaned and the scope on the mount...alarmingly the clutch in RA is not gripping very well and there is a wobble I think due to adjustment being required on the base plate..have yet to try setting up the camera but I just had to tell you all...and the experience has been so uplifting..just to sit in my van, my home, again really was wonderful...it is nothing to others but everything to me.
Thanks for listening.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20210702110557_resize_92.jpg)
139.7 KB59 views
Old 02-07-2021, 12:24 PM
PCH (Paul)

You’re going great guns Alex, well done you
Old 02-07-2021, 12:37 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great progress the van has been cleaned, the observatory has been cleaned and the scope on the mount...alarmingly the clutch in RA is not gripping very well and there is a wobble I think due to adjustment being required on the base plate..have yet to try setting up the camera but I just had to tell you all...and the experience has been so uplifting..just to sit in my van, my home, again really was wonderful...it is nothing to others but everything to me.
Thanks for listening.
Alex
That is one good looking scope ... You leave the Price Tag on?
Old 02-07-2021, 12:37 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Wow, the RASA 11 is a big beast!

The filters were posted today by the way, hopefully they are useful to you.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Now that’s an Astrophotography rig
Looks incredible
Take your time fine tuning balance and optics etc...
Cant wait to see some images
Best
Martin
Old 02-07-2021, 01:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sortted the slipping clutch it just needed some exercise.

The wobble is the single bolt between the custom cast base plate and the mount which should tighten ok and happily it can be reached without taking the whole thing down.

My heart sank as that was my first thought.

I have worked out what goes where and conclude that the filter draw is not the one I need..it is 54 but the hole in the camera takes 41 according to my measuring thingy, manual reading as the battery is dead...I will look into all of this but the question has popped into my head ...if the opening in the camera requires 41 how does that fit with 2 inch filters..whats that 50 mm..will a 41 mm draw set up hold 50 mm filters or do we need to step up from the camera with a fitting so as to use the "54 mm" draw... Also the fitting at the scope is 41 ..is that too small and I need a different fitting to what came with the scope to use 50 mm filters?..I will do some research first, then ask John of Bintel but if anyone has any input it would be wonderful to hear.

So outside the grass has been cut and I feel so much better about it all.

Moreover the main reason I bought this scope was to have something to motivate me to go on and on that score the scope it has done its job because the condition I find myself in one really does not feel like getting out of bed at all...but today I had a good reason to not go back to bed after my 6am meds...and getting help has been a smart thing todo as I think I could not have managed it mentally or physically and yet it is mostly done and we still have half a days work to put in...

Happily although the observatory was covered in rat droppings and wasp nests and looking terrible it seems at this stage there does not appear to be any damage..no cables chewed thru etc..it was surprising how the bolt referred to worked loose and the clutch became useless..hot and cold no doubt..its been a while cause I was off the air a good while before the operation I just did not realise how I had slipped..add the rain..well time flies.

I still need to look at the mounts in the small observatory that has the little HEQ 5 and a old but accurate EQ6.

But I fear getting the optical train set up for the RASA will require some thinking and certainly bits that I dont have.

The thing is rather big and a EQ8 would seem mandatory but first I need to just make it work...and the new camera feels nice in ones hand ..and it has a clean sensor

Thank for listening.
Alex
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
That is one good looking scope ... You leave the Price Tag on?
I will see what it is..it still has some covering on it ..just give me some time.
Alex
Old 02-07-2021, 02:34 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The original tilt plate on the ASI2600 is an M42 thread, but you can get M48 and M54 versions as well. I have an M54 one on mine.