Old 29-11-2021, 02:10 PM
oberresford (Ollie)

Celestron C8/C9.25 on AZ-EQ6 GT

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have experience of using the C8 or C9.25 on a EQ6 or the AZEQ6 GT version? I'm wondering how the mount copes with this load especially as the 9.25 is a fair amount heavier. I'm looking to use for galaxies astrophotography and interested to know experience with these combinations. I also should note I do not have an observatory so wind could be a factor. I'm leaning towards the C8 as I'm guessing the 9.25 might be pushing it but interested to hear real life experience.

Thanks
Oliver
Old 29-11-2021, 03:48 PM
Zuts

I have used an Edge 9.25 on an AZ EQ6 mount, mainly for planetary, however it is well within the capability of the mount.

An Edge 11 would be fine for visual and planetary, but may be pushing it for long exposures and galaxies.

Cheers
Paul
Old 29-11-2021, 04:24 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I imaged for a fair while with a C925 on the Orion branded version of the AZEQ6 (Old version, before the "GT") It handled it quite well. Wind impacted guiding as you would expect but in good weather it worked nicely.

The issue with the AZEQ is that balancing them is tricky due to the design of the clutches and the clutches themselves can compress over time and eventually need replacing. They are a different design to the EQ6 ones. They would make mount setup a lot easier in the factory but can need more maintenance than the EQ6 version.