Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 11:58 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Advanced Newtonian collimation

I’ve tried to follow this method from the videa on YouTube. The author uses the tag “astronomyshed” and I expect you will find it easily. I have failed badly at my first attempt. The presenter uses a small generic camera mounted in an eyepiece holder rather than the standard laser collimator which he says is prone to error.

Have any IISers tried this technique and if so, with what results. I’d very much like to see where I am going wrong.
Old 13-11-2021, 11:12 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Yes Ive seen most of Astronomy Sheds videos, saw this video a number of years ago and it seemed way to extreme in regards to Collimation of a basic newtonian reflector. A 20min to 30 min exercise
I use 6” and 8” newts for imaging and a 12” newt for visual and have used a Cheshire and laser collimator with good results for years , takes me 5 mins or so

I reckon as soon as you use this method to get your Collimation 1000% perfect , when you fit or change your various eye pieces or imaging gear , temperature drops through the evening , slewing around etc.. maybe a slight bump here and there , your Collimation will change slightly from being 1000% perfect to something less and won’t really be noticeable in your field of view or your images , so what’s the point of such a meticulously long winded detailed Collimation process , I doubt whether it’s going to make your stars look tighter or sharper etc... It won’t fix coma , pinched mirror , tracking error , poor guiding , poor PA and so on .....

I stuck with the good old fashion simple,reliable, quick method that works fine for my basic newts

After collimating at the start of an imaging session, I just perform a Star focus test during focusing using my Capture software APT ( usually a mag 2.0 to 2.5 Star )diffraction spikes are always like super sharp swords , all even , no double swords or spikes and Star centroid spot on
For visual I just focus on a bright star at 150 x mag and same deal, nice even diffraction spikes and centre of Star pin point

Each to there own

Good luck with it, I hope someone who uses this method can advise so it eventually works out for you in the end

Cheers
Old 13-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Im curious what the link is now
Old 13-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Works the same as with a collimation cap, wrote the guide up for a discord basically on the same process, your just systematically lining up all the parts, I even wrote up a guide on the procedure, and for those that don't want to follow a link, the keyframes from what I was trying to get animated that convey the process,

I am not a fan of laser collimators other than for the primary, there are a few ways to mess with 1 axis and correct on a different and have the collimator show correct, so I mostly use this method.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (collimation.png)
103.5 KB34 views
Old 13-11-2021, 08:25 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

I used the astronomyshed video procedure on my 10" f4 Newt about six months ago, and the result was good. I had a little bit of trouble with his accent and terminology, but after a few iterations, it all came good. I then covered up the f4 and wandered off into widefield stuff and haven't yet revisited it.

IIRC, the key was in using the crosshairs to keep everything lined up, and then verifying results with a reliable laser collimator + Barlow as in his final steps. I have always liked the laser+barlow approach.

Just FYI Peter, in a fit of boredom a couple of weeks ago I ordered a Chinese "OCAL" collimator camera + software (https://amz.run/53Ym), it's on it's way, so will try that out when it arrives. Wasn't that cheap, but hey, gotta spend it before I go.

YouTube tutorial video: https://tinyl.io/58UI

My reasoning is that it might make the astronomyshed approach somewhat easier. Happy to loan it to you after I try it.
Old 14-11-2021, 05:11 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Thanks for the responses (and the offer Mike). I have massacred 2 web cams so far trying to get a decent image. The first one was funny (afterwards) but made me feel a bit of a dill at the time. I had drilled a 3mm hole in the centre of a lens cap and then spent an hour gluing the bloody microphone to the hole. Put it down to senility.
The second one is the current iteration. I have been able to shove the camera into an old eyepiece tube but with no pinhole to look through. Its just a camera lens in a 32mm tube. Perhaps that’s my second mistake.

I’ve chucked it for now and gone back to the laser.
Old 24-11-2021, 01:57 PM
drew12345 (Drew)

I have had very good success with my F/4 Newts by installing a ZWO 120 MC into the focuser, then using "ALs Collimation Aid" found on http://sweiller.free.fr/collimation.html, then followed up with a barlowed laser.

too easy.