Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Stephane

NINA vs Sequence Gen Pro

Hi all,

Apologies for yet another noob question. I am looking to acquire an image capture software. Lots are out there, but I mostly like Nina and Sequence Generator Pro. I hear that NINA can pretty much do anything that SGP can do, and is free. Surely that cannot be true though, otherwise no one would use SGP.

Any advice?? Thanks again.

Cheers,
Stéphane
Old 04-10-2021, 10:47 PM
sunslayr (David)

It's true, nina has been at feature parity with sgp ever since sgp changed to a subscription model. Now I'd say it's even better thanks to its advanced sequencer and plugin support. I think the only thing it doesn't have is robust recovery features, but I haven't used the latest build so maybe they have since added it.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:57 PM
AdamJL

NINA

at the moment, it's the best bit of software in astrophotography, IMO.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:34 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

SGP has a lot of inertia behind it, or people somehow clinging to the idea that "I paid for this therefore it MUST be better than anything free" regardless of looking at them objectively - they do have their areas the other doesn't have but all of the standard stuff is there in both.

Happily been using NINA for the last 3yrs! The polar alignment tools alone make it a game changer for me where I can't even see the SCP.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:55 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Likewise with Alistair, I've had NINA installed for the past 3 years but started using mostly since last year. Never had. SGP installed so can't compare.

However in the past 12 months, I'm seeing more SGP users convert to NINA for 3 main reasons :-
1) SGP's move to subscription
2) NINA's Advanced Sequencer
3) NINA's Plug-Ins
Old 05-10-2021, 09:04 AM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I've just switched from APT (Astro Photography Tool) to NINA due to an ongoing problem. I find APT easier but now I'm getting used to how NINA works I'm quite liking it. Of course I have gained a new ongoing problem but I'm persevering.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:32 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfog View Post
SGP has a lot of inertia behind it, or people somehow clinging to the idea that "I paid for this therefore it MUST be better than anything free" regardless of looking at them objectively - they do have their areas the other doesn't have but all of the standard stuff is there in both.

Happily been using NINA for the last 3yrs! The polar alignment tools alone make it a game changer for me where I can't even see the SCP.
Thanks everyone! That is all really helpful! I thought that there might be a bit of “Ive already paid for SGP, therefore I’m sticking with it”. But regardless, both software look amazing.

Alistair, I also have a SCP obstruction. I just watched a YouTube video on plate solved polar alignment using a plugin with Nina. That technique looks to me by far the quickest and most precise. Some use Synscan, others a Planetarium. I’ve also heard that some polar align with PHD2. They literally tweak polar alignment on a target due East or West such that error decreases lol. So many methods…

Last edited by Stephane; 05-10-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Saturn488

Im using SGP, have been for years.

I know it well so will stick with it. Have played around with NINA which looks good but not a huge fan of the GUI.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:09 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

On teh topic of plugins, I really think that's what is going to be the difference between NINA and all other software. THey're open as can be, and you get things like the groundstation plugin for phone notifs and my personal fave lightbucket - its the closest thing to an online star party

https://app.lightbucket.co/