Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-11-2021, 01:37 PM
bsteeve (Steeve)

Moving to the world of mono, looking for general guidance with settings

Hi all

I just bought myself a 1600mm pro from a member and I'm pretty excited to finally dip my toes into the world of mono imaging.

I'm in a bortle 6/7 zone in Melbourne
My gear is an EQ6-5, William Optics ZS73, Uniguide 50/200 scope with ASI 120mm mini for guiding, NUC with Kstars/Ekos installed. Zwo Electronic focuser, 1600mm Pro with filter wheel and zwo filters LRGB Ha Sii Oiii

I've started to have a look at gain setting, offsets etc... which is pretty new to me coming from DSLR imaging...

Found some great Excel sheet calculator on here and cloudy nights.

From what I can gather with my setup and my sky people suggest suggest a gain of 75 for LRGB and for narrow band 139 (unity gain) or 200 and then setup exposure time resulting in an adequate background sky value, does not clip too many stars, and does not result in an excessive number of subframes.

I'de be keen to hear what your settings are with comparable sky and equipment. My primary targets are Nebulas.

Many Thanks!
Old 24-11-2021, 05:11 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Shiraz (Ray) has done the calculations for optimal exposure times to reduce the influence of read noise. For multiple sensors. Google it - here even had some tables. Here on IIS

Sorry I can't remember where they were

Chris
Old 24-11-2021, 08:46 PM
bsteeve (Steeve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Shiraz (Ray) has done the calculations for optimal exposure times to reduce the influence of read noise. For multiple sensors. Google it - here even had some tables. Here on IIS

Sorry I can't remember where they were

Chris
Thanks Chris I'll check it out
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 PM
gregbradley

I don't use the 1600 but other MOS cameras.

Yes narrowband needs higher gain as you stated and a lesser one for LRGB imaging.

These cameras are not noisy so usually cooling to -10C is sufficient.

I use 3, 5 and 10 minute exposures depending on the brightness of the object. That's with a CMOS camera with deeper wells so it can take it.

But generally I imagine 10 minute exposures with your narrowband filters is what will give you the best images. LRGB from a light polluted area is going to be troublesome.

Greg.