Old 23-10-2021, 09:44 AM
SB (Chris)

Visual Advice - Eye Pieces

Hi ALL,
I have found the threads about Favourite Eyepieces very interesting. The description of feeling 'immersed' is appealing! I have only done Astrophotography so far.

I have an Esprit 100 set up for imaging. I also have a 2" diagonal. Is the Esprit any good for Visual at 550 FL? If so what would be a really good Eyepiece?

Alternatively (for visual satisfaction) would I be better off taking the Esprit off the EQ6-R and purchasing a Quattro F4 or other F5 Newtonian (for example) and using a great Eyepiece on this (do you also need a Coma corrector for visual). Any recommendations for a scope?

My plan if using another scope for visual would be to mount this on the EQ6-R and use a small scope + camera on the finder bracket to plate solve and goto using ASIAIR.

Thanks for the advice.

SB
Old 23-10-2021, 10:35 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Once you drop below about F5 your choice in Ep's starts to get price restrictive, the faster the scope the closer you are to using premium ep's and coma correctors.

As for the need for a new scope, that would depend on the intended viewing targets.
Old 24-10-2021, 08:26 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Your EQ6-R will carry an 8” f5 newt nicely , I use that set up only for AP and leave my visual for the 12” Goto dob, but I have used the 8” for a bit of visual early on and it’s extremely good
An 8” f5 would be an ideal “all rounder” visual scope with plenty of aperture and focal length ( 1000mm ) A coma corrector is advised but I’ve used my 12” f5 with and without a CC ( Paracorr) and unless you’re concentrating on the whole field the coma doesn’t really bother me.
As far as EP’s go , I’ve used $30 Plössl and $1000 Televue EP’s and both work well , however chalk and cheese when it comes to the viewing experience ( 52deg AFV verses 100deg AFV ) You pay for what you get but there are some good Plössl EP’s on the market.
You can pick up an 8” f5 newt for about $550 , either Skywatcher or Bintel GSO
I don’t recommend f4 newts or faster for visual unless you want to buy a good CC like a TV Paracorr
Hopefully some more advanced visual folk can offer more advice as I’m not a full time visual observer, 80% AP 20% visual
Cheers
Martin
Old 25-10-2021, 09:11 AM
SB (Chris)

Thanks Martin and Steve,
This Forum has really got me interested in visual. The discussion about the Morpheus EPs is fascinating and the description of immersion is very appealing.

Which vendors sell the Morpheus range?

Haha, I can see a conflict brewing between Imaging and visual as to which setup gets to go on top of the the EQ6 !!

SB
Old 25-10-2021, 10:53 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Thanks Martin and Steve,
This Forum has really got me interested in visual. The discussion about the Morpheus EPs is fascinating and the description of immersion is very appealing.

Which vendors sell the Morpheus range?

Haha, I can see a conflict brewing between Imaging and visual as to which setup gets to go on top of the the EQ6 !!

SB
Nice choice in ep's, I know of two QLD companies that do, they were $360 at entry currently $385-$420, which hurts them a little. Astro Anarchy for 1 option...

If your not after a really wide field with the tracking at hand, there are gems in the sub $150 range new, if you do want wide field $400+ and I'd differ to Martin on the APM 110/100 degree series. The $150 maybe not show boat pieces, but are very capable.

ES is stocked in Sydney by a few places, so is Sky Rover, no Oz sale point for APM that I have found.

With no VAT and postage prices from the US, UK/Germany etc are cheaper to the door for some things.

Visuals is easy, you'll give in and get a 10-12" dob to look through while doing AP on the EQ-6...

While I really like the Morpheus range, the same rule still applies you will find varying performance across the range of magnifications. So, be prepared to pick the eye teeth from a few brands/series.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 25-10-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:55 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

In your scope I would suggest a 13mm Ethos Televue ep’s are good to f4 if you’re not worried about 100 Deg ep’s the 14mm Delos is also a lovely eyepiece with slightly better contrast and eye relief than the Ethos but whatever you get you’re looking at top drawer in a fast scope like the Esprit if you need sharp to the EOF and for myself that’s non negotiable the fact with eyepieces is you can have boxes of them but will probably really only use at the most 3 and 1 would probably be in there most of the night for planets and double stars the 8mm and below Delos impossible to beat my 2 bobs worth
Old 04-11-2021, 12:45 AM
Don Pensack

For visual, not using a coma corrector, stay at f/5 or longer.
As for eyepieces, you'll need a few.
Baader Morpheus are nice eyepieces and work well down to about f/4.5, but a set of 4 or 5 might require a larger budget to buy than you need starting out with visual use. I see the Saxon Cielo eyepieces are available at a decent price, and they're good enough you would enjoy using them--a wide enough field not to feel cramped, but not so wide that you would see more coma from the scope (the wider the eyepiece, the more visible coma is at the edge). And usable with or without glasses. You may have some uncorrected astigmatism in your eye that would make using glasses useful to improve the star images.

If you are thinking an 8" f/5 on the mount, I would suggest getting an 8" f/6 dob instead and continue to use the mount for imaging.
The dob has the advantages of:
--greater stability at high powers in a breeze
--less coma at f/6 than f/5
--a comfortable seated viewing experience
--no odd eyepiece positions or leaning over the mount to look through the eyepiece
--very quick setup
--easier to transport than an EQ-mounted scope
--can be used at the same time your other scope is shooting an image.
--easier on eyepieces--most eyepieces perform better at f/6 than f/5, so gives you more choice of eyepieces.

Beginners often start out with too few eyepieces to choose among. The advantage of the 60° Cielos is you might be able to afford a set of 4 or 5 instead of one or two, and have choices for the different objects in the sky.
After all, you'll be looking at objects well under 1' across all the way up to 2° across and more. Multiple magnifications are called for.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:32 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Not sure if you are thinking of buying 2nd hand, but Gummie has the Cielo's at $110 a pop. No idea about the seller etc, but might be worth a look... Also available at $90 inc. postage from Australia Astronomy Buy and Sell classifieds.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 04-11-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:37 PM
SB (Chris)

... has anyone tried the Meade Wide Angle 100° Long Eye Relief Eyepieces? The price is OK certainly. Not sure how good this EP is for faster scopes e.g F5.5 and lower?

Re the TV EP's , I can't find any TV in stock in AUS - whats happening with supply currently?

The Morpheus looks like a great eyepiece according to forum feedback but with a lower FOV.

Thanks

SB
Old 08-11-2021, 12:48 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
... has anyone tried the Meade Wide Angle 100° Long Eye Relief Eyepieces? The price is OK certainly. Not sure how good this EP is for faster scopes e.g F5.5 and lower?

Re the TV EP's , I can't find any TV in stock in AUS - what's happening with supply currently?

The Morpheus looks like a great eyepiece according to forum feedback but with a lower FOV.

Thanks

SB
The Meades are actually about 88° in field, per many measurements of them. That is still impressive for longer eye relief, however. Many users of fast (f/5 and below) scopes report a bit of lateral field astigmatism, but no one reports it is bad except on the 26mm, if I recall.
I suggest you do a Google search for reviews and comments about the Meade Mega Wide Angle (MWA) eyepieces. There are hundreds of comments.

Supply chain problems are major, world-around. Here in the US, we have billions of dollars of goods sitting in the harbors, unloaded, and some of it is now destroyed food and dead animals.
https://medium.com/@ryan79z28/im-a-t...d-bbe0ebac6a91

Covid19 raised demand by 300-400% and the factories are running at maximum and falling behind. Now they're experiencing shortages of materials like glass, and labor as well. It's a mess. Realistically, we're going to deal with this until Covid 19 passes into history. How long will that be? My crystal ball is foggy.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Hi ALL,
I have found the threads about Favourite Eyepieces very interesting. The description of feeling 'immersed' is appealing! I have only done Astrophotography so far.

There has been a lot of good discussion here, but it's also worth mentioning that in the really wide EP's (like 100 degree apparent field of view), you kind of need to turn your head to see the entire view. For me there's a sweet spot at around 68-82degrees where I can keep still at the eyepiece rather than swiveling to take it all in.

Markus
Old 09-11-2021, 06:58 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
There has been a lot of good discussion here, but it's also worth mentioning that in the really wide EP's (like 100 degree apparent field of view), you kind of need to turn your head to see the entire view. For me there's a sweet spot at around 68-82degrees where I can keep still at the eyepiece rather than swiveling to take it all in.

Markus
You may not be aware of it, but with anything over 60°, you are turning your head to look at the edge with direct vision.
The small amount of head rotation goes without notice under 70°, but you should have seen the innumerable on-line complaints about 82° eyepieces 20 years ago and more because you had to tilt your head to look at the edge.
So many more people have 82° eyepieces today and have had them so long that most don't even notice the head rotation.
That occurs with 100° eyepieces, too. After 14 years with 100° eyepieces, I don't even notice the head rotation any more--it just seems normal.
I can see that might be a negative thing for some.

Personally, I find the 78-82° area to be about optimum between comfort and large field of view. But the 100° eyepieces have their advantages--especially above 200x in an undriven dob.
Old 19-11-2021, 08:50 AM
SB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Once you drop below about F5 your choice in Ep's starts to get price restrictive, the faster the scope the closer you are to using premium ep's and coma correctors.

As for the need for a new scope, that would depend on the intended viewing targets.
Can the Skywatcher Quattro F4 scopes be used for visual? They have a great aperture. I have ordered some morpheus EPs and will be using those on the Esprit 100 in the meantime, but would consider a Newtonian for Visual and AP.

Thanks

SB
Old 19-11-2021, 09:05 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Can the Skywatcher Quattro F4 scopes be used for visual? They have a great aperture. I have ordered some morpheus EPs and will be using those on the Esprit 100 in the meantime, but would consider a Newtonian for Visual and AP.

Thanks

SB
I would suggest getting an f/5 scope instead.
The Morpheus eyepieces are marginal at f/4 without a coma corrector.
With a coma corrector, which typically increases the f/ratio 10-15%, you might be OK.
And an f/5 won't really inhibit your imaging.
Plus, the f/4 scope has a very large secondary, optimized for imaging, not visual.
Just be sure to get an adequate mount for the reflector. It will require a larger and more heavy duty mount than the 100mm refractor.
Even if the weight is similar, the "wind sail" factor means the mount has to be a real rock or needs to be in an observatory that shields the scope from wind.
Old 19-11-2021, 09:16 AM
SB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pensack View Post
I would suggest getting an f/5 scope instead.
The Morpheus eyepieces are marginal at f/4 without a coma corrector.
With a coma corrector, which typically increases the f/ratio 10-15%, you might be OK.
And an f/5 won't really inhibit your imaging.
Plus, the f/4 scope has a very large secondary, optimized for imaging, not visual.
Just be sure to get an adequate mount for the reflector. It will require a larger and more heavy duty mount than the 100mm refractor.
Even if the weight is similar, the "wind sail" factor means the mount has to be a real rock or needs to be in an observatory that shields the scope from wind.
Thanks Don
I’m using a EQ6 R presently. Will that mount work in your opinion?

Thanks

SB
Old 19-11-2021, 09:18 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Thanks Don
I’m using a EQ6 R presently. Will that mount work in your opinion?

Thanks

SB
Yes, fine for an 8" newtonian.