Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 23-09-2021, 07:33 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Many thanks for sharing your experience. I really like globular clusters so thats awesome to hear they really stood out.

That would be cool, I saw this video on the Hubble Optics site that would be cool to have.

https://youtu.be/akFaEhcuHcQ
Yep THAT would indeed be the ultimate dark site observing instrument, hands down!

Mike
Old 23-09-2021, 08:15 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Mel, do you mind me asking if you do, or did, (or plan to do) a lot of outreach work? Being more than a bit jealous, and certainly not critical, but you seem to have more scopes, and bloody good ones at that, than a modest telescope shop!
Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for helping my viewing buddy with his 20" Stargate. It was much appreciated.

I have been doing a bit of outreach to show people, especially prior to Covid. I would bring my Solar scope to work and plonk it outside the back of the building and show the public and workers from my building the sun.

I have enjoyed and still enjoy showing others the night sky when they have never seen it with binoculars or a scope.

I have found a lot of satisfaction also in trying to help others get started and be there to answer any questions or concerns they have in groups and forums. I probably scare a lot of people away as they usually think what do I want. I sincerely do love helping others out and getting a kick out of it when they view stuff themselves for the first time and then go on to show others, can't get any more satisfaction than that.
I am humbled always to call a lot of the people I have interacted with as friends and many have gone to exceed my limited knowledge and experience.

Haha to be honest I never planned it that way, I just acquired scopes as I went along , I only started like 5 years ago. My reasoning was to give my friends and others the opportunity to view through some nice scopes that they may otherwise not have access too.

I did think of starting a business to show tourists from overseas the Southern Skies but with a young family and no rural property, it makes it hard. The ultimate aim is to have something like Michael has before I retire and get to old.

Apologies for the long response.

Mel
Old 23-09-2021, 08:17 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yep THAT would indeed be the ultimate dark site observing instrument, hands down!

Mike
Yah for sure, that bino scope looks sick!

You need one for your property
Old 24-09-2021, 08:17 AM
gregbradley

Wow, a 24 inch high grade Dob.
Can I be your friend?

Greg.
Old 24-09-2021, 09:05 AM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Wow, a 24 inch high grade Dob.
Can I be your friend?

Greg.

Hi Greg

For sure, the more the merrier.

I am going to keep going and acquire as many scopes as possible before I die.
Old 24-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
I am going to keep going and acquire as many scopes as possible before I die.
Please don't die for a long time yet Mel ' I do enjoy our long conversations about what dream telescopes we would get if we had the resources .

Having Fun playing with scopes
Bobby .
Old 24-09-2021, 12:10 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Yah for sure, that bino scope looks sick!

You need one for your property
We actually have a 22"/F5 binoscope as part of our 3RF equipment. It has a pair of Mark Suchting mirrors in it. It is currently in storage at Peter Reads place awaiting a rebuild, as the structure wasn't quite as stable as it needed to be. Just a little bit jiggly in high wind and lower down in altitude. In still conditions the views were something pretty special. Probably the single best view I've ever had of Omega Centauri, which includes views through dobs to 36" and refractors to 15".

We also have a 12"/F5 Binoscope with a pair of Suchting mirrors, which also gives some very nice views.

Cheers
John B
Old 24-09-2021, 12:34 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Please don't die for a long time yet Mel ' I do enjoy our long conversations about what dream telescopes we would get if we had the resources .

Having Fun playing with scopes
Bobby .
Haha the plan is to stay live for awhile. I hope likewise for yourself and stay healthy as well.

I definitely enjoy the long conversations we have and love the topics we go into.

You too buddy
Old 24-09-2021, 12:41 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
We actually have a 22"/F5 binoscope as part of our 3RF equipment. It has a pair of Mark Suchting mirrors in it. It is currently in storage at Peter Reads place awaiting a rebuild, as the structure wasn't quite as stable as it needed to be. Just a little bit jiggly in high wind and lower down in altitude. In still conditions the views were something pretty special. Probably the single best view I've ever had of Omega Centauri, which includes views through dobs to 36" and refractors to 15".

We also have a 12"/F5 Binoscope with a pair of Suchting mirrors, which also gives some very nice views.

Cheers
John B

Hi John,

You guys have some nice equipment with the 3rf organisation that you have access to and get to play with. Ahh ok, cool. Pete is definitely the person to do the modifications.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the view through a binoscope. Its something I have wondered and been reading up on but its no substitute for real life viewing and scope usage. Life changing views
Old 24-11-2021, 01:11 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Fellow iceinspacers,

I promised to provide an update.

My scope has been delivered by Peter to cloudy weather as per the norm.

The SDM scope has exceeded my expectations yet again. I have only had a chance to take it out twice and both nights were test nights for me to get use to the scope.
The views of Jupiter and Saturn really stood out for me, I haven't seen that level of detail visually and was able to push to x270 consistently. I pushed the scope to x700 and the view did not break down but I could see the atmosphere was in and out but at times sharp.

I have updated the thread in cloudynights:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...#entry11487033
Old 24-11-2021, 02:36 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Hi Fellow iceinspacers,

I promised to provide an update.

My scope has been delivered by Peter to cloudy weather as per the norm.

The SDM scope has exceeded my expectations yet again. I have only had a chance to take it out twice and both nights were test nights for me to get use to the scope.
The views of Jupiter and Saturn really stood out for me, I haven't seen that level of detail visually and was able to push to x270 consistently. I pushed the scope to x700 and the view did not break down but I could see the atmosphere was in and out but at times sharp.

I have updated the thread in cloudynights:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...#entry11487033
...WOW! looks beautiful Views through that will blow you away from a true dark sky...Hmm?..I know where there is a really good one of those too

Mike
Old 24-11-2021, 02:51 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
...WOW! looks beautiful Views through that will blow you away from a true dark sky...Hmm?..I know where there is a really good one of those too

Mike
Haha thanks Mike.

Yah - I really keen to get it out to the country with things coming into Christmas , I know its an early next year activity. I think I will get a life altering experience.

I am hoping to get others out to experience it with me and enjoy the view.

I think you need a large aperture scope to complete your dark sky property setup Mike.

You are too kind , maybe one day.
Old 24-11-2021, 03:36 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Haha thanks Mike.

Yah - I really keen to get it out to the country with things coming into Christmas , I know its an early next year activity. I think I will get a life altering experience.

I am hoping to get others out to experience it with me and enjoy the view.

I think you need a large aperture scope to complete your dark sky property setup Mike.

You are too kind , maybe one day.
When using Tim Carruthers 24" F4.2 up near Chilagoe far north QLD, which enjoys true Bortle 1 skies, the views (of everything) were utterly jaw dropping and I didn't want to go to bed, spent several hours thoroughly mesmerised, I got sick of uttering the word Wow...you just wait!

Would be quite similar from here at Eagleview too...a bit closer than 3hrs west of Cairns

Mike
Old 24-11-2021, 04:27 PM
m11 (Mel)

Wow, that would have been amazing. You are lucky to get to view at all these bortle 1 places including your place. So jealous.
I csn imagine just wanting to keep on going and not wanting it to end at all.
Wirh you place you have access all the time which counts for alot and allows for more of those good times more viewing.
Old 26-11-2021, 01:23 AM
Bobbyoutback

Wish

Quote:

Mike
Greetings Mike ,
Mel & I are good friends , if you were to give me the OK to join him I would supply heaps of good whisky .

Also we could have an Arm Wrestling contest for a fine eyepiece ' I will donate .

Cheers & Beers
Bobby
Old 26-11-2021, 10:56 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

sound's like a plan

Mike
Old 26-11-2021, 02:01 PM
m11 (Mel)

I am in
Old 26-11-2021, 03:04 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Greetings Mike ,

Also we could have an Arm Wrestling contest for a fine eyepiece ' I will donate .

Cheers & Beers
Bobby
Get your eyepiece ready

I remember seeing Mike once at South Pacific Star Party, 15 or more years ago (when he was younger and training). He walked in front of me at one point and 5 people disappeared.

Cheers
John B

Last edited by ausastronomer; 26-11-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 26-11-2021, 05:22 PM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
Get your eyepiece ready

I remember seeing Mike once at South Pacific Star Party, 15 or more years ago (when he was younger and training). He walked in front of my at one point and 5 people disappeared.

Cheers
John B
Yes I think your right JB ' I remember seeing a photo of him lifting a huge iron meteorite !

Bobby
Old 27-11-2021, 10:20 PM
m11 (Mel)

Quote:
Get your eyepiece ready

I remember seeing Mike once at South Pacific Star Party, 15 or more years ago (when he was younger and training). He walked in front of me at one point and 5 people disappeared.

Cheers
John B
Lol, it sounds like you saw a human eclipse occurring John.