Old 07-10-2021, 03:19 PM
JA

Battery Charged? or NOT?

A simple thing...

OK so you are just about to set out on your night of adventure and quickly grab your gear, making sure you double check everything so you don't forget something. Here is my trick to alleviate one issue; to know which of my batteries is charged or uncharged......

So you ask yourself: Which one of these batteries is charged?????
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncharged.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	281782

Who knows? So you start installing them in your camera to assess their state of charge and realise that you have too many that are flat or close to it and that you need to spend an hour or two charging. There's another way.... After a session if a battery is significantly depleted, say around 50% or below, I like to take it out of the camera rather than trying to wring every last drop (milliVolt) out of it, and potentially risk having a flat battery in the field*. Instead I take it out of the camera, CHARGE IT and MARK IT, by wrapping an ELASTIC BAND around it, to show that's it's charged and ready for use on my next outing- see below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charged.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	281783

Even when I do this, before I venture out for a session I will still always (at home) put the first fresh battery in to the camera, turn it on and look at the battery level meter. I will then take a plethora of others with me which I know, given that they're charged, should be at 100%ish

Happy shootin'

Best
JA

*I understand that charging a not completely flat battery may use up some of the battery charge cycle life, but I am willing to pay that in exchange for readiness to roll and start with a 100% charged battery. Of course, as they say .... YMMV

Last edited by JA; 07-10-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:07 PM
leon

Good idea JA, have to admit i was caught once, but never again, I also never leave the batteries in the Cameras when not being used and just charge them all up before anything is packed away, thanks for the hint.

Leon
Old 08-10-2021, 10:11 AM
SteveInNZ

I use little zip-loc bags that the battery just fits in. If it's in a bag, it's charged. That keeps grub and fluff out of the small sensor pins, eliminates the risk of shorting and won't come off accidentally.

Steve.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:16 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
I use little zip-loc bags that the battery just fits in. If it's in a bag, it's charged. That keeps grub and fluff out of the small sensor pins, eliminates the risk of shorting and won't come off accidentally.

Steve.
Good point Steve Especially with some camera batteries that have deep recesses so that the pins are protected somewhat. Other battery types like to freeball it

Best
JA
Old 08-10-2021, 12:47 PM
AdamJL

That rubber band trick is something my dad has done for years

Me, I put fresh batteries (with the battery cover) in a specific pocket of my camera bag. Anything not in that pocket is something that needs charging.

Of course, the night before (I tend to do lots of sunrise photography) the batteries are ALL checked to be sure.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:28 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Canon batteries have a slip on cover with a small oval hole, depending on the orientation you can indicate whether the battery is charged or not.