Old 27-10-2021, 12:13 PM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

Universe With Brian Cox

Universe With Brian Cox
https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/10/air...brian-cox.html

Airdate: Universe With Brian Cox
New 5 part astronomy series with Brian Cox is coming to ABC.

Published by David Knox on October 27, 2021

New 5 part astronomy series Universe With Brian Cox is coming to ABC in mid November.

This will replace Four Corners which wraps its year soon.

From the makers of The Planets, this has just debuted in the UK.

Rogue planets, fossilised stars, black holes more massive than a million Suns. Huge advances in our understanding of the Universe mean that for the first time we can take you to places we didn’t even know existed just ten years ago. In this new series, we come face to face with the Universe’s most surprising characters and reveal how their fates are intertwined with our own.

Across five episodes, Professor Brian Cox roams the vastness of space and time uncovering exquisite moments of sheer drama that changed the Universe forever. We’ll watch the birth of a star in a stellar nursery, experience the power of a supermassive black hole as it consumes an entire planet, and witness the chaos created as another galaxy collides with our own galaxy, The Milky Way. We’ll even travel back in time to the day without a yesterday – to witness the very beginning of time and space itself in the moment of its inception – to a time before the Big Bang.

Monday 15 November at 8.30pm on ABC
Old 27-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Should be good. Thanks for the headsup.
Old 27-10-2021, 07:11 PM
anthony.tony

Surely there has to be someone out There.Maybe We Just Smell Bad ..
Old 28-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.tony View Post
Surely there has to be someone out There. Maybe We Just Smell Bad ..
Or maybe we taste funny !

Looking forward to the series, Prof Cox is a likeable presenter and always good to see more astronomy programs on TV.
Old 28-10-2021, 01:04 PM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.tony View Post
Surely there has to be someone out There.Maybe We Just Smell Bad ..
“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.” Carl Sagan.

My 100th post! I'm a chatterbox.
Old 16-11-2021, 10:56 PM
AdamJL

First episode was on Monday.

Available on iView for a watch.

Enjoy
Old 17-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
First episode was on Monday.

Available on iView for a watch.

Enjoy
On SBS tonight @ 23:19 for the late night owls ..
Old 17-11-2021, 12:06 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I’m not sure how to take it. There’s more than a little Sagan about it, endless walks in remote places with Cox, heaps of esoteric music, terrific CGI effects and, all in all, terrific production values but not a great deal of core matter. Sure, it’s TV for the multitudes so a talking-head show would die a quick death. But a middle ground would be nice. Less pazzaz and a bit more science I think.
Old 17-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I’m not sure how to take it. There’s more than a little Sagan about it, endless walks in remote places with Cox, heaps of esoteric music, terrific CGI effects and, all in all, terrific production values but not a great deal of core matter. Sure, it’s TV for the multitudes so a talking-head show would die a quick death. But a middle ground would be nice. Less pazzaz and a bit more science I think.
Totally agree
I like Brian Cox as a presenter one on one with an Astronaut , Scientist or Astronomer etc... but these Universe docos really bore me , special effects, graphics , surround sound , totally lacking scientific and technical detail , it’s not his fault , it’s way over his head , more drama than science
I’m an engineer, nuts and bolts type person ( not ideal for TV )
My 2 cents .....
Old 17-11-2021, 07:43 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Totally agree
I like Brian Cox as a presenter one on one with an Astronaut , Scientist or Astronomer etc... but these Universe docos really bore me , special effects, graphics , surround sound , totally lacking scientific and technical detail , it’s not his fault , it’s way over his head , more drama than science
I’m an engineer, nuts and bolts type person ( not ideal for TV )
My 2 cents .....
I wonder if his live presentation tour, Horizons: A 21st Century Space Odyssey, next year will be like this. I don't know why he keeps bringing a Comedian, Robin Ince, with him .. he adds no value to the presentation. Well not to the last tour in Australia which I went to.
Old 17-11-2021, 09:28 PM
RyanJones

Totally agree with the assessments of the show. I tend to avoid docos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson for that exact reason but I usually find Brain Cox much more interesting to watch and listen to. He’s also one of the few true scientists that is willing to say “ we don’t know “ “ but this is what we believe “ . This series sadly looks like it’s not going to be what we’ve done to expect from him. I’d stop a long way short of saying it’s not it’s fault snd it’s over his head. The guy is an astrophysicist that works at the large hadron collider at Cern. I’m not sure you’d get that gig if you didn’t have some clue what you were talking about.
Old 18-11-2021, 05:12 AM
leon

Yep I'm with you Peter, although I love the topic, just don't quite like the show, so to speak.
Everything these days is made for TV, fact or fiction, and if they don't get their ratings they rev it up a bit, and then stuff it.

Leon
Old 18-11-2021, 07:58 AM
Hemi

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m a BC fan! The infinite monkey cage is the best and most entertaining radio/pod cast ever!
Old 18-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Totally agree with the assessments of the show. I tend to avoid docos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson for that exact reason but I usually find Brain Cox much more interesting to watch and listen to. He’s also one of the few true scientists that is willing to say “ we don’t know “ “ but this is what we believe “ . This series sadly looks like it’s not going to be what we’ve done to expect from him. I’d stop a long way short of saying it’s not it’s fault snd it’s over his head. The guy is an astrophysicist that works at the large hadron collider at Cern. I’m not sure you’d get that gig if you didn’t have some clue what you were talking about.
“Way over his head” was in relation to the format, content , production and delivery of the these docos / shows which is I assume is controlled, budgeted, edited by the big money producers and directors ( not the well known presenter Scientist like Brian ) If your a well known Celeb / Scientist and allegedly paid big bucks to present , I’d reckon there’s quite a few put up and shut up clauses in your doco contract for being a presenter.
Apologies for not being more specific and yes Brian is a well regarded Scientist and Astrophysicist
Old 19-11-2021, 05:00 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
“Way over his head” was in relation to the format, content , production and delivery of the these docos / shows which is I assume is controlled, budgeted, edited by the big money producers and directors ( not the well known presenter Scientist like Brian ) If your a well known Celeb / Scientist and allegedly paid big bucks to present , I’d reckon there’s quite a few put up and shut up clauses in your doco contract for being a presenter.
Apologies for not being more specific and yes Brian is a well regarded Scientist and Astrophysicist
Ah yes Martin. Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. In that regard you’re probably right. Can you imagine how frustrating that must be then ?
Old 21-11-2021, 02:29 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I like the way Brian Cox integrates concepts and facts in chemistry and atomic structure with cosmology. He is usually convincing. The series looks great.

However I fell asleep. Too many spaces and pauses with not enough content.

Can’t please all of the people all of the time.
Old 18-07-2022, 09:32 AM
spacetff (Steve)

Universe with Brian Cox series is now bak on ABC iView if you want to see it again.
Old 18-07-2022, 01:34 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

[QUOTE=pmrid;1541858]I’m not sure how to take it. There’s more than a little Sagan about it, endless walks in remote places with Cox, heaps of esoteric music, terrific CGI effects and, all in all, terrific production values but not a great deal of core matter. Sure, it’s TV for the multitudes so a talking-head show would die a quick death. But a middle ground would be nice. Less pazzaz and a bit more science I think.{/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. I've been an educator and trainer all of my life, and have (occasionally) written academic curriculum. While we all have different learning styles, and the various approaches (slick graphics, etc.) can engage the attention of some, there must be sound facts supported by solid evidence and examples to show the context.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM
spacetff (Steve)

If you want more science (and don't we all) I have recently signed up with Amazon Prime. One of the extra channels available if you pay a little more for is "The Great Courses". In that there are quite a lot of science and astonomy series. They are usually just lectures with basic production and some are just general in nature but this one "The Big Bang and Beyond" has a lot of science. Gets quite loopy towards the end as they explain some of the theories of the early universe.

The Brian Cox series were great productions and great for the masses. Knowing my intrest in astonomy, after they were screened on TV, I had many friends and relatives mentioning to me space facts they had heard about on the show. The shows sparked intrest in a lot of people we all want more people getting interested in astronomy and shows like this do that well. Of course the biggest reason we want more people getting into and interested in astronomy is especially when we want to upgrade our telescopes and sell our older ones second hand!

Also interesting to note is of all the threads in this Astronomy Books and Media thread this one has the most clicks (or views) by along way. My guess is this goes back to the popularity of the series.
Old 14-10-2022, 05:37 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

A great series much better than the love boat