Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 11-06-2023, 07:35 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Heavy dew on observatory floor with roof open

Hi, I currently built a 3X3 meter roll off roof shed for my current Observotary last summer.
Has been working a treat but i have a issue now with heavy dew on the floor that i didn't foreseen when i was first designing / building it.
The floor is made out of that black form ply that concreters use for boxing.

Decided on this as it would be nice and easy to keep clean as it is semi water resistant.

But now the colder months are here for us in Tassie, the dew i get once the roof is rolled off can get pretty bad, in some cases after say 4 or 5 hours with the roof open, the floor can look like you have just washed it, maybe not that extream but not far off.

I am looking at some options to help prevent a lot of this dew, would installing a simple 30cm desk type can provide enough air flow movement to help stop this dew?
I am thinking of leaving the door open maybe to allow the air to flow out, or would it be better to have the door closed?

Or another option was to use an outdoor carpet, I think these have a rubber back on them and i think they dry out pretty quickly.

And lastly with the air movement, would this have a huge effect on imaging causing air turbulence?

Any thoughts or ideas to combat this would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Peter.

Last edited by bluesilver; 11-06-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:32 PM
leon

Hi, peter I know exactly what you are saying, when I was imaging, I too had a 3x3 meter roll off Observatory! it worked a treat an at times dew was a problem.

I did use 2x30-centimeter fans and the air flow really made a difference, and it had absolutely no effect on imaging.

I actually kept these fans running full time, even when I had finished imaging and during that time the air flow also dried out any equipment inside the observatory as well, when it was closed.

The fans ran 24/7 all year, hardly used any power and when they wore out, I replaced them with a new one from B W for 15 bucks.

It does make a difference, just have them on a stand or something similar and not to close to your equipment and just on low, let the breeze gently pass over, it really works a treat once you have them in the right position.

Just one thing though, don't cap your scope until all is dry.

Leon
Old 11-06-2023, 12:47 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Appreciate the advice.
I will look into getting one to try.
Yes, have done a few times now my mistake, putting the cap on at the end of the imaging session.
The next day remembering, i go back in and the mirror is all dewed up.
Just move the scope until it is pointing down and leave it there for the day to dry out.

Appreciated.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:00 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

My dew/floor - condensation/pier problems solved by running a box fan from the big green shed @$24.00 - this oscillates and blows across the floor. There is also a 58W light at the base of the pier/ mount, which keeps condensation at bay when the obs is not in use, BBQ cover over the scope to "trap" the modest warmth like a big girl's skirts, (40W not quite enough during the frosts!)

Fan (40W setting) on a daily timer starting at 1100hrs till 1700hrs to avoid overheat at top of dome and prevent stale air/mould, and manual switch "on" when observing.

Light on timer (58W) starting at 1700 till 0700, and removable when observing. There's also a small dehumidifier when the weather requires.

Matting interlocking rubber mats as used under camping awning. (Prevents aching legs when stationary on pavers)

Took a little testing to get the wattage as low as possible, and the timers pay for themselves by restricting the running times to necessary periods only. All up costs about $120.00 including the dehumidifier and switches, but I consider this a good investment when I go out and the gear is dry as a dead dingo's, and not cooking either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image000000.jpg)
97.7 KB57 views
Old 11-06-2023, 01:54 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Looks like the fan is the way to go, wish i had thought of this at the start.
I do use an motorbike cover that i had spare to through over the setup when not in use, just incase i get any condensation form the roof.
but so far all good.
Around the pier it is fairly well ventilated an also around the top part where it rolls on and off, so this helps keep temps fairly even when it is all closed.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I like the wet floor as I can mop the place.

Alex
Old 11-06-2023, 07:16 PM
glend (Glen)

My roll off roof observatory is built on posts, so it dies not sit on the ground and air can circulate underneath. It has a ply floor topped with rubber backed carpet tiles from Bunnings. Wet floor is not really an issue. My pier extends from the ground up through the floor, and does not touch the floor at all. Works for me.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I ran a fan tonight and it really did the job...Thanks Leon.
Alex