ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Darkplague
Mark

10 or 12, The decision beckons.

Hi again,

Well I just sold my AR-6 lxd55 goto refractor, and I almost ordered a 10" Dob from Andrews straightaway. The reason I state "almost", is that 5 min before this I was reading up on 12.5" Dobs, and now I have aperture fever.

Seeing as the ar-6 was my first scope, should I stick with the 10" or go the 12".

These are the 2 I'm tossing up on:

GS-880-BK7-CRF 10"
GS-980-BK7-CRF 12"

I have money for either so thats not an issue. The issue is whether the 12" will be that much more cumbersome than the 10" therefore I will be inclined to drag it out less often.

The weight isn't an issue either. I am a strong boy. Would the 12" fit in the back of my car without the box ? (Mazda 626)

The 6" was a good scope, giving nice views and such, but to be honest it didnt give me the wow factor I had hoped it for. Does anybody have any opinions/experience regarding 10" versus 12".

The main question really is this:

Is the view in the 12" dob that much better to justify and extra $500 on top of what I could get the 10" Dob for?

I know that some of you will say to go and look through other's scopes and see for yourself, but this isn't an option for me right now, besides, I WANT TO ORDER A SCOPE RIGHT NOW!!! I Have little patience when it comes to ordering new toys :+)

Any input is appreciated.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:01 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

A 12" give you aproxamatly 2 times the light gathering caperbility of the 10" and a theoretical magnitude limit of 13th mag,a 10" gives a theoretical mag of 12.8 but while that might not seem very much it is infact quite significant when looking for faint objects, so if as you say weight or dollars are no problem for you, go for the 12" you wont be sorry. astroron
Old 16-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

The 12 incher really is big, so the question is this, do you want to be able to transport it ? The OTA on the 10 incher will lay across the seat in a medium to large sedan whilst the 12 needs a wagon or a van.
The difference in view between the two sizes is subtle rather than striking.
I love my 10 incher as it packs nicely into the car, and if I was to go any bigger, id go a 14-16 inch in truss dob form.
If you live in a place with dark skies and dont ever see a need to transport the scope, go for the 12.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:10 AM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

For portabibity it has to be the 10" for the wow factor it has to be the 12" just decide which one is the most important and go for it. : )

Gazz
Old 16-06-2005, 12:14 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I think you might have a bit of bother fitting either into a Mazda 626.

There is not a great deal of difference in their physical size. There is a terrific site giving the dimensions of all the GS models but I can't remeber the address. It is in here somewhere. I will go look for it and come back.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:30 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

FOUND IT!!!

There is tons of info on all the GS Dobbie models. For example the different lengths are 121cm for the 10" compared to 145cm for the 12"

http://www.telescope-service.com/dob...iansstart.html

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 16-06-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Darkplague
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
FOUND IT!!!

There is tons of info on all the GS Dobbie models. For example the different lengths are 121cm for the 10" compared to 145cm for the 12"

http://www.telescope-service.com/dob...iansstart.html
Thanks heaps!!!

I've been looking for reviews of the GS dobs, but couldnt find anything until now.

)
Old 16-06-2005, 12:42 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

It isn't so much a review site, more an info site.

Stick it in your favourites for future reference. I remembered to this time LOL.
Old 16-06-2005, 05:58 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I think the 12" is significantly longer and larger than the 10" - for transport purposes. The 12" really is the size of a big hot water system - and will definitely be much harder to fit in a standard car - in fact,it probably wouldn't fit at all. A mazda 626 ain't a big car, I think you'll be lucky if the 10" fits, the 12" no chance.

While aperture rules, if it's too big and heavy to transport that you don't end up using it, it's a waste. The best scope is the one you use.

You could buy the 12.5" truss dob in the Buy/Sell forum - they break down into smaller components so it can be transported without problem in your 626. And that also sounds like a quality scope. Depends on your budget.
Old 16-06-2005, 08:12 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Storage is another factor to consider. The 12" is huge compared to the 10". Depends if you have a clean shed for storage or don't mind it taking up half the lounge room.

Cheers
Old 16-06-2005, 12:01 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

How ESSENTIAL is transportation of the scope? I have a 12.5" F5 tube length: 1710mm
My OTA wont fit in ANY sedan. The only option is to take the back seat out & stick it in the boot for me.
Old 16-06-2005, 12:05 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hehe! Buy a bigger car. problem solved!
Old 16-06-2005, 02:06 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

It`s getting like, you have to buy a suitable vehical before you buy a dob.
Which ever one you buy you will be happy with.
Old 16-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
How ESSENTIAL is transportation of the scope? .
Only you can answer that

For me a transportable scope is a must as there is a fair amount of light polution where I live, so almost every new moon I take my scope out away from city lights for a dark sky session.

There is a BIG difference in the quality of viewing if you can get away from the light polution that plagues those of us that live near big cities.

If you live in a rural area and your night sky is dark enough, you may never want to transport your scope, but then theres always the social aspect of star parties etc.
Old 16-06-2005, 07:06 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

I cant really add to this. do you have room for a 12er? then get it I say. under light polluter skies I cant imagine that there'd be much difference but under dark skies you should theorectially be able to see more with the 12"
Old 16-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Darkplague
Mark

My back seat folds down all the way giving me 1.7m in length inside for the OTA. In theory I can fit the 12" into my mazda's sedan!

Is the OTA sonotube or metal?

Can anyone elaborate on what the codes mean: LTD, BK7.

I'm guessing BK7 is the glass type, but what is LTD?
Old 16-06-2005, 10:29 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

LTD . . Limited. They are not a model they are going to make a hundred thousand of.
BK7 is the type of glass.
The OTA is steel. When you first get it cover up all the openings and spray and polish all the tube with Mr. Sheen. Do it twice (or 3 times) preferably. This will protect the surface for a bit longer especially if you live within 20k of the sea.
Old 16-06-2005, 10:44 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Just a small correction about limiting mags. My 'Meade' 10" is capable of 14.5, according to the old specs sheet. Not that I've ever tried that faint an object. My darksite/eyesight limit is around 12. Anything fainter than that.........
Darkplague, As stated before, 'Aperture wins'. But if you can't fit the t'scope in your car for transporting, then get the 10". You won't be sorry. + you can buy some better quality E/Pcs.with the diff. L.
Old 16-06-2005, 11:08 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

12"---------------------------------------------------------------------------sct
Old 16-06-2005, 11:28 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Red face

I was going to correct my post, I got my inches mixed up with my centimetres,25cm=10" limiting mag 14.8,30cm=12"limiting mag15.2 ,the rest of the post is OK.astroron