Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 AM
Maccawacca (Michael)

Sky Rover ULT 80 ED Glass Triplet 80mm APO Refractor Telescope

Hi - Firstly, I must state that I know very little about Telescopes and Astro-photography. I care for my dad full-time and have finally saved $2000 I wish to spend on a telescope and mount.

I am considering the Sky Rover 80ED and a Skywatcher Mini AZ Gti mount costing $2150. I do own a Canon 1100d camera. I will also buy a T-ring Adaptor. I am also very aware that over time I will need to spend extra money as I become competent and experienced.

Unfortunately, I am unable to find any reviews on the WWW regarding this Telescope.

I am writing on this forum for the 1st time in the hope that members can advise if this telescope and mount are of the quality for the dollars being asked.

I would so appreciate any suggestions on scope and mount for about $2000. Due to my circumstances being a Carer to my Dad, it is most likely financially that my 1st purchase will be my last. That is why it is important for me to get the best scope for astrophotography I can for the limited money I have to spend. Thanks and hoping for some assistance.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Hi Michael and welcome to ISS. I'm not familiar with that scope so I'll leave to someone else to comment on. If you're not dead set on a refractor telescope then may I suggest that you look at reflector telescopes? You'll save more on the scope side and be able to put it towards a better mount which in opinion is more important if astrophotography is your main goal.

Have a browse through the beginners astrophotography section in here to get an idea of what's possible with a reflector. Lots of guys and girls producing some stunning images with these scopes and a DSLR.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM
casstony

Hi Michael, to stretch your limited funds one option would be to wait until there's a sale on the HEQ5 go-to mount (comes with a 5 year warranty) or keep an eye out for a used HEQ5 or Celestron Advanced VX mount.

Then start imaging just with your camera and lens while you figure out which kind of telescope to buy - a used refractor will save a lot of money.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve owned a couple of 130mm Sky Rovers and I’ve been very happy with them. Haven’t ever used or seen the 80mm but if they are of the same quality as the 130mm then it’ll be good.

I will also echo the comments of others and suggest that you may be better off getting a mount closer to the HEQ5 than the GTI; especially for astrophotography.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I would agree on the same owning a SkyRover 130mm scope as well. Have not used an 80mm but been happy with the optics. The classfieds here also turn up some package options from time to time - it really depends on whether you wish new or ok with secondhand but agree on a better mount for imaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’ve owned a couple of 130mm Sky Rovers and I’ve been very happy with them. Haven’t ever used or seen the 80mm but if they are of the same quality as the 130mm then it’ll be good.

I will also echo the comments of others and suggest that you may be better off getting a mount closer to the HEQ5 than the GTI; especially for astrophotography.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome Michael from me.
You are lucky to be able to look after your Dad..it can get hard sometimes but few are lucky enough to get to do this.
Don't be overwhelmed ..it's a slow process..and a wonderful journey.
Alex
Old 10-10-2019, 02:32 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi and Micheal .

If I were you I would jump all over the hypertuned HEQ5 that's just been posted in the classifieds by Striker , $1400 is a good price for this mount , that leaves $600 for a scope , an ED80 second hand would be perfect and they do pop up here from time to time .

Don't think that an ED80 is not an imaging scope , just google 'ED80 astro photos' and you will see there are 10's of 1000's of great photos done by 1000's of satisfied APr's worldwide using this combo .

Also walk , don't run when it comes to buying astro gear for most of us here have built up our collections over years but as I said that HEQ5 is probably the best by far starting point .

Brian.

ps. an Ed80 got here 2nd hand here would usually come with a few eyepieces and these are a good visual scope as well so keep your eyes in the classifieds all the time , good luck .