Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2017, 01:29 AM
Scorby1965 (BillyKirkbright)

Back into it!

Hi all

I've had a love for astronomy now for around 18 years. I bought my first telescope on a modest budget and got myself a 90mm refractor on an equatorial mount back in the late 90's. It gave me hours of pleasure many nights and what I found most fulfilling was being able to show others the wonders of the night sky. They also found it fascinating which of course, only made it more enriching for me. Eventually life took a different course and I found my hobby starting to diminish.

Recently I've decided to resurrect my passion and decided to upgrade the 90mm refractor to a dob 10 goto. I've now had the new dob a week and a half. So far I've only had the chance to use it once on a fairly average night but the images I saw through it were astounding compared to the 90mm...particularly the detail on the cloud bands of Jupiter and also some deep space objects. I've been hindered by cloudy and rainy nights since and I'm chomping at the bit to get a good night to use it again!

Since reigniting my passion I've found I've forgotten many of the well known wonders of the night sky ...seems I've got some revising to do.

Heres to clear nights and astronomy party nights in Billy's back yard!

Take care

B
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Nebulous (Chris)

All the best with it Billy. I don't know about Geraldton, but winter seems to have finally arrived in Perth and the long run of clear nights have been replaced with drizzly grey coldness. Just when I finally acquired a 10" Dob too, although the 'goto' on mine is only provided by me pushing it......

Let us know how you go and what you find. If you can see it then I should be able to find it (eventually....) too.

Roll on spring...

Cheers,

Chris
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 AM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Welcome back Billy !

Andy