Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
JFHimaging (John)

Guidance in purchasing an APO refractor please

Hi Everyone,

I am not exactly new on here. Just figuring out the posting and forums!

I have been using a Schmidt Cassegrain for a while now and I was looking into grabbing an ED80 or APO refractor. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for brand, size and accessories to suit. Wish to start my journey in astrophotography.

Many thanks.
John
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Big topic. What sort of mount would you be using? Do you have a guiding setup? What sort of targets would you want to image? An ED80 is a wide field scope, APOs can get expensive as they increase in apeture. Do you have a budget? Accessories will depend on what sort of camera you wish to use. Do you have a camera now? Sorry for all the questions but narrowing down the parametres allows better advice.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Wavytone

One starting point is to take a look at the websites of APM and Teleskop Service in Germany - both have a huge range of APO's, doublets, triplets, quadruplets and more. Some are photographic only, to the extent they have a flat field and the OTA is set up for cameras and don't have the backfocus to accommodate eyepieces.

If you like what you see there the next question is whether you can find something better eg from Stellarvue, AP, TEC, ES... etc.

Need to decide what you want to photograph to understand the field of view required, with this and camera sensor size and pixel pitch you can calculate the focal length needed. Aperture and how much glass are determined by the depth of your pocket.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Hi John,

Welcome to IceInSpace!

All of the questions and comments I agree with. You need to determine what you would like to do with an APO refractor first as this will determine many of the factors described.

They can get quite expensive and there are many brands. explore Scientific is one where you can get the ED80 for under $1000. There is Meade, Williams Optics, SkyRover and many more.

An ED80 would suit the budget better. It is best to have a look at some of the reviews of equipment here on IIS which may help understand what each scope might do.

Regards,
Matt
Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

I'd also recommend attending a Star Party or Astro Camp so that you can have a look at, and through, the scopes that other amateur astronomers are using. Also ask them why they have and use the gear they have.

Paul
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
One starting point is to take a look at the websites of APM and Teleskop Service in Germany - both have a huge range of APO's, doublets, triplets, quadruplets and more. Some are photographic only, to the extent they have a flat field and the OTA is set up for cameras and don't have the backfocus to accommodate eyepieces.

If you like what you see there the next question is whether you can find something better eg from Stellarvue, AP, TEC, ES... etc.

Need to decide what you want to photograph to understand the field of view required, with this and camera sensor size and pixel pitch you can calculate the focal length needed. Aperture and how much glass are determined by the depth of your pocket.
I agree, Teleskop-Express has a big range of APOs available and their website info is excellent. Very cost effective as your paying in Euros exchange rate which the AUD has held up really well, unlike the USD rate. I bought my APO from them.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

And if your after a SW Black Diamond ED80 mine is up for sale for $800 used once.