Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Nath2099

Software

Hi!

I'm a little bit confused by the amount of software available and exactly what each can do.

I have bought BackyardEos, which seems to work well with my 5D, but can this also talk to the EQ6 mount to do tracking (does it even have the ability to move the mount?), or do I need PHD2 for that?

Also, does EQMOD just replace the handheld GoTo controller? Do I need both PHD2 and EQMOD? Or what exactly does EQMOD do? Can it all be done wit BackyardEOS?

Cheers!
Nate.

EDIT: I pick up the scope and mount tomorrow, so this is all a bit pre-emptive.
Old 23-09-2016, 11:42 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nate
Having just been through the same issues, I will try to explain. The functions you need for astrophotography are:

Camera control -Backyard EOS (BYE for short)
Guiding - PHD
Go To and other mount controls - EQMOD

The distinction between tracking and guiding is often not well understood, after they sound similar. Tracking the the mount mechanically following the movement of an object. Guiding is using a star to make corrections to that tracking to compensate for small errors in polar alignment or the mounts mechanics.

The software interacts in certain ways. For example you can get Backyard Eos to interface with PHD to introduce dither. This means after BYE completes an exposure it sends a command to PHD to move the mount slightly. This is helpful to help reduce the noise during stacking. Also EQMOD can control PEC (Periodic Error Correction) slightly changing the rate at which the mount tracks to reduce errors in the RA mechanism. It achieves this via an interface with PHD.

To answer your specific queries, BYE will not move the mount. If wanting to get the mount to point you will need EQMOD (or you can use the handset on the mount). Be aware that EQMOD is not really a "program" as such. Rather it can be thought of as a set of drivers that allow another program, such as a planetarium program like Cartes Du Ciel or Stellarium to talk to you mount. It does extend the functionality that a handset has. For example you can use a wireless gamepad to control the mount, directly slew the mount from your laptop, and lots more.

Backyard EOS is a great program. There is a good video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gkw8bx7Aw that explains many of the features (be aware it is about 2 hours 40 minutes long!) by the programs designer. But it is esesntially a camera control program.

As to what you "need", PHD is really the only one you really need. I did quite a lot using the handset and running the camera with a cable release. But EQMOD and BYE automate a lot of that and you can do a lot without getting out of your seat.

Malcolm
Old 24-09-2016, 09:11 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nate
Is it a EQ6-R by any chance?

Also with regard to my last post, I am no by means an expert! Just relating my experience!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 24-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Nath2099

Hi Malcolm, thanks for your detailed response, that certainly clears up a few things for me.

Yes it's the EQ6-R... pick it up today, ready to set up at about 5pm, so I apologise in advance for the inevitable cloud cover rolling in around then!
Old 24-09-2016, 11:28 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

One of the best things you could do whenever the chance arises is hang out at local new moon event Nathan, if its an option.

Invaluable to see other people's gear in action, chat, ask questions.

WARNING: This practice is also invariably dangerous to your wallet
Old 24-09-2016, 07:06 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Further to my post earlier. Always try the software indoors before trying to run it outdoors. Enables you to ensure that it works first.

Obviously PHD is hard to use indoors (no guidestars) but atleast you will know that the camera is talking to the computer and the mount!

Malcolm