Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 12-02-2016, 08:24 PM
aussiepeter (Peter)

dark sky site north of Canberra?

G'day folks

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find anything obvious. Can anyone suggest any sites on the northern side of Canberra, or a bit outside of northern Canberra that provides decent viewing for an evening out? I'm thinking of potential sites out in the direction of the Barton or Federal highways.

Thanks
Peter
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 PM
billdan (Bill)

Gooday Peter,

When I lived there (in Lyneham) we used to go to Gungahlin but that is all built up now.

Another place I used to go to was a camping site on the edge of Lake George, the cars driving past on the highway didn't worry us. Not many after 10pm.

Cheers
Bill
Old 17-04-2020, 10:32 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Apologies for this deep thread dig, but this is about the closest thing I could find in my search for a list of good places to go around Canberra for dark skies. I would've headed to various spots in Namadgi, but not on the cards for a while.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a first night out on the road (other than lake george here"? If these things are kept on the down low, thats cool, but also I'd be happy to hear about anything via private message here too

Thanks!
JP