ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2016, 01:44 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Carton Telescope info for a newbie

Hi all,

I was given a telescope last week that is so huge it takes up the whole backseat of my car in its travel box.

Details of it that I have found are:
Brand: Carton
Size: D 100mm and F 900mm
Type: Reflector

Its got a few different eye pieces and both sun & moon filters. Also an old camera adapter. I have had to pull the lenses out and clean them along with the mirror at the bottom. May have to re calibrate things now that they are cleaned.

Its been hard to find any data on this unit so I am guessing its pretty old school (legs are wood).

Keen to try this out and if there is advice anyone can give me I'd be grateful. In the meantime I'll have a look through the forum for what I need.

Adding a pic of the unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqm79t4zwo..._1959.JPG?dl=0

Regards
Welshy1969

Last edited by welshy1969; 08-02-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

the best scopes take up at least the back seat of the car but what you have is a pretty standard scope and shouldnt be too heavy. the good thing is that given that it is an alt az mount (just a guess) and a refractor, you can pretty much set it up and start observing. no need for collimating optics, polar aligning or even getting a perfectly level set up. what you will need to do is get a planisphere or download some planetarium app on your tablet/phone to see what objects are up. try to get some views of the moon (when it comes a bit higher in the sky), the Orion Nebula, Jupiter (later at night) and its moons. you can also look at binary stars. spend some time learning the constellations and navigating the sky. you also might want to go to some kind of star party and meet up with people who can show you the ropes.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Hi Somnium,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply there. Orion Nebula..... That sounds pretty exciting. I havent had a telescope since I was a kid.

Here is a picture of the unit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqm79t4zwo..._1959.JPG?dl=0
Old 08-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

sorry, i misread your original message. you have a reflector not a refractor. though it is not a large one so collimation might not be an issue. seeing jupiter and the orion nebula through an eyepiece is simply stunning. also check out the pylades, carina nebula etc. there are some good books out that take you through a tour of the southern hemisphere
Old 08-02-2016, 03:05 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Cant wait to check it out. I am Gold Coast based and its been too cloudy of late.

Now to look up "collimation" which you have referred to. lol

Thank you so much for your help.

Welshy1969
Old 08-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy1969 View Post
Cant wait to check it out. I am Gold Coast based and its been too cloudy of late.

Now to look up "collimation" which you have referred to. lol

Thank you so much for your help.

Welshy1969
don't get too freaked out by collimation, it is not as bad as it sounds, especially for a small aperture Newt. feel free to post whatever questions you have, i look forward to hearing how you go.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Thanks again,

I had to pull out the main reflector lense (terminology correct?) and give it a clean as it looks like its been sitting for a while and was a bit grubby. The edges of the mirror finish are not perfect. It looks like its been coming off. Not sure how badly that will affect the image. Will see how I go.

Welshy1969
Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Awesome , Carton telescope,s are very good Japanese made instruments , top quality stuff with excellent optics, rare so well done .

Any chance of a photo of the mount and eyepieces' close up ?

Thanks.

Brian.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy1969 View Post
Thanks again,

I had to pull out the main reflector lense (terminology correct?) and give it a clean as it looks like its been sitting for a while and was a bit grubby. The edges of the mirror finish are not perfect. It looks like its been coming off. Not sure how badly that will affect the image. Will see how I go.

Welshy1969
The main mirror is referred to as the objective. Minor issues with the Mirror won't impact too much
Old 08-02-2016, 07:41 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Awesome , Carton telescope,s are very good Japanese made instruments , top quality stuff with excellent optics, rare so well done .

Thanks.

Brian.
Hi Brian,

I'll grab some pics of the bits and load them up. When You say mount, do you mean the tripod mount itself?

Welshy1969
Old 09-02-2016, 03:08 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Andrew,
Just some quick advice...
If, as you say, there's a sun filter included, is this a small one about an inch or 1 ¼" in diam?

If so, then destroy it.....I mean destroy it.
They are extremely dangerous.
Do not attach it to any eyepiece.
The sun's heat will be concentrated on that filter & it will be shattered.
This will allow all the magnified suns full light emissions into your eye.

Do not use any kind of eyepiece solar filter.
For any kind of solar viewing, you have to use a full aperture solar filter that fits over the end of the tube.

Yes. He means the Tripod & how the telescope attaches to it.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

I've heard the advice about sun filters a few times now so it seems as though it's a good idea to heed the advice. I've got one that goes at the end of my telescope (114/900). Mind you, I haven't used it in ages. I've used it once I think. I might get it back out again and have another go.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:

Thanks.

Brian.
Hi again Brian,

Heres some photos of the mount and the lenses.

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/welshy1969/library/

Is there a better way to post photos here?

Welshy1969
Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJAH235 View Post
Andrew,
Just some quick advice...
If, as you say, there's a sun filter included, is this a small one about an inch or 1 ¼" in diam?

If so, then destroy it.....I mean destroy it.
They are extremely dangerous.
Do not attach it to any eyepiece.
The sun's heat will be concentrated on that filter & it will be shattered.
This will allow all the magnified suns full light emissions into your eye.

Do not use any kind of eyepiece solar filter.
For any kind of solar viewing, you have to use a full aperture solar filter that fits over the end of the tube.

Yes. He means the Tripod & how the telescope attaches to it.
The sun filter is small in height but the same width as the others. Years ago I used to be a welder by trade and the sun filter has the same kind of darkness as my old electronic helmet did.

I wasnt planning on looking at the sun though. Especially here in QLD. Id rather do like they used to and have that piece of white board that the image projects onto.

Welshy1969
Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 AM

That's it , looks like a nice sturdy German equatorial mount. , nice.

On posting photos here just scroll down the page you typed the message in and click Go advanced , follow the prompts and Manage Attachment,s and select a photo you want and Download into the box , then push Add Reply , done.

Brian.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
That's it , looks like a nice sturdy German equatorial mount. , nice.

On posting photos here just scroll down the page you typed the message in and click Go advanced , follow the prompts and Manage Attachment,s and select a photo you want and Download into the box , then push Add Reply , done.

Brian.
Thanks Brian,

Yep its an oldy but is smooth as silk to operate. Cant believe I scored it. I do Tong Long Kung Fu with my brother and he was helping our master (Sifu) move house Australia Day. Sifu gave the telescope to my brother who had no use for it so offered it to me!

I had a little refractor unit when I was 12 and always dreamed of having a unit like this. Then this one lands in my lap. My sifu says its only good for looking at the moon with the current lenses but I am a little astounded by that. Why would such a unit out of the box be only good at looking at lunar cheese?

Given the eye pieces I havein the picture.... I have no idea what is the best one to use. I was going to start with looking at the moon and work up from there....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	194520

Welshy1969

Last edited by welshy1969; 09-02-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:08 PM

Yes those Japanese know how to make good mounts .

Brian.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Those eyepieces' look nice quality but. PLEASE! Throw the sun filter in the bin , these things are dangerous as they have been known to shatter under the concentrated heat the scope produces causing horrible, painful instant blindness .buy a full aperture filter that fits over the end of the tube thus only filtered light enters the scope. , very safe.

Start with the 25mm that will give the largest field of view and about 36x ( 900 divided by 25 )

Great story by the way ��.

Brian.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Those eyepieces' look nice quality but. PLEASE! Throw the sun filter in the bin , these things are dangerous as they have been known to shatter under the concentrated heat the scope produces causing horrible, painful instant blindness .buy a full aperture filter that fits over the end of the tube thus only filtered light enters the scope. , very safe.

Start with the 25mm that will give the largest field of view and about 36x ( 900 divided by 25 )

Great story by the way ��.

Brian.
The eye piece on its side with the K actually has Moon written on the top of it. It does not fit into the telescope and has a thread on it so not sure what its supposed to have on it. There is nothing else in the box to go with it. Sun filter is the same although shorter. And dont worry, I wont be using it!! Night time viewing only!

Thanks for the advice by the way. Found a good ipad app that I can point anywhere in the sky and it shows me whats in that direction. Going to be handy.

The best place is obviously away from light pollution. I am in the city though so will start there and move on from that.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:46 PM

The K-25 and K-12 are Kelner design and the Or-6 is an orthoscopic design , this is your high power eyepiece about 130x . You won't use this much , only on really good nights.
The. K-12 will give about 75x , mid range magnification .

Looking at the K-25 it looks to have the chrome bottom missing , these unscrew from the top black housing that holds the optics.
Look at unscrewing the Moon bit , that's probably a Moon filter like the dangerous Sun filter just unscrew it and the chrome bottom of the 6mm and see if it fits the. 25 mm .

Another thing. , measure the chrome barrels they will be either 24mm ( .965 inch.) or 32m ( 1 1/4 inch) .
Let me know what size these and the focus tube is .
Cheers.

Brian.