ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 12:29 PM
josh (Luke)
luke

Question need some advice

Hey crew. Thanks heaps for the forum, Id have no idea how to get started without it. Ive got a few noob Qs. Sorry to hassle you with them but i cant find anyone around that can help much (im out in the bush}. My brother had a small DOB years ago but was nicked(cant remember specs i was about 10yo).Been saven up and nearly ready to buy but I dont know how much good viewing ill get through an 8" reflector on an EQ mount compared to the 10" I want to work my way up to photography of
mostly deep space stuff ( your pics are sic !)
Ive got about $1400 or so to spend but i wanted some left over for extra bits. Should i save more and go for a 10"? Or get an 8" and lots of mods?
A guy in Brisbane quoted $1200 for a saxon 8" on an EQ with no extra toys,i know i can do better than that.

Oh yeah, i think i found you guys through google. Ive been watching and learning for weeks and just got the guts to ask. Sorry if its a bit long winded (ths is my first go at a forum)
Anyway take your time to answer as im not in too much of a rush and thanks again for all the good info. Cant wait to see through time again!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:02 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Welcome to your new home away from Home Josh

In answer to your question you need to consider several things. Firstly, you say you want to get into astrophotography. Which type is important to you? Planetary or Deep Space (galaxies and nebula)?

If planetary then a good quality refractor of say around 4 or 5" is best. Meade and celestron or vixen make these, Bintel in Sydney sell the Meade 5" with a half reasonable mount for a bit over $2000.00. ( I have no affiliation with Bintel, I am just suggesting that you look at their website for pricing and range) That includes tracking and goto computerization. That is the LXD75 05" refractor. This size scope would also be ok for most Deep sky stuff but would struggle with most galaxies. You would need to check the other manufacturers for similar models.

If Deep sky work is what you want the scope for. Then there are a range of light buckets with tracking mounts that you could go for either a Newtonian on a German equatorial mount or a Schimdt Cassigrain(SCT). The Newtonian is good for deep sky work as the secondary is not very large and will not reduce the resolution of the scope. However, they are large and not easily transported and they will not be as good for planetary work. The SCT is a multipurpose scope and one that most serious astrophotographers use. They are more transportable, but can be very heavy. They are good for Deep sky work and have pretty good results for planetary. In fact they come a close second to the refractor for planetary work. For both the Newt and the SCT you will need a good mount and there are a whole range of mounts. Main thing to look for is steel or wooden legs. Do not get a scope with aluminum legs or underrated mount. It will ruin your future needs and you will have to buy a new mount for it. I suggest that you save a bit longer and get around $3000.00 together to get a good scope and half reasonable mount.

However, for the interim while you are saving you might like to get a 10" Dobsonian as an observing scope. You will not need to spend a lot of money and there are several outlets such as once again Bintel or Andrews. With this sort of scope you can do some great viewing in your bush location and get the experience that you will need to do astrophotography.

I hope that this has answered your questions and should you have anymore please ask away.

Make your choice carefully, it will influence your enjoyment of the hobby.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Welcome Josh.......The problem I see....if you start looking at a 10" reflector on EQ mount you would atleast need a HEQ5 or EQ6 mount...to be satisfactory...any smaller mount would just be a waste of money and you will be dissapointed.

You say Astrophotography.....keep 1 thing in mind...the mount has to be very strong...a weak mount with a 10" reflector would look a lot worse then a 8" with a good solid mount....The Mount is the priority here....forget about the aperture for now....

BTW EQ6 mount on its own is over $1000 I think....

Maybe you should look at a 8" with EQ5 or wait and save for a HEQ5 or EQ6....

Just my opinion Josh from what I have learnt in my short time in this hobby but I have already asked the same question......

Good luck......

P.S....priority = Mount
Old 12-03-2005, 01:30 PM
josh (Luke)
luke

Thanks heaps for the help. I think your right ,I should save alittle more and learn alot more before i rush out and buy something i dont fully understand.
If i got a Dob,do they hold there value ok if i wanted to sell and upgrade at a later date ?I havnt seen many second hand scopes around.Is that because there hard to sell or there so good you never want to part. I dont think i could afford to have two at any one time
Thanks guys for the quick response and good advise. Ill let you know how i go
Old 12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Good size dobs will hold their value and you can get a good 10" for around 700 dollars. You will find that you will still after 12 months be able to sell it for around 500. Don't buy a dob that is smaller than 8" though. It will not be very satisfying and will not hold its value.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:54 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I would agree with the advice already given, if it is astrophotography that is your ultmate interest, save and get a good mount (and either a refractor or SCT)...either way make sure you get a good mount...

While I am not one of them myself (I stick to visual), there are several people in the forum who are quite good at the picture taking and have/know all the stuff you will need to be successful at it...

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:59 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Wave I would hope that you consider me as one of those people, and that I am giving good advice. LOL

Last edited by rumples riot; 12-03-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

At the risk of straying off topic...Rumples (and Striker) I thought your advice was "on the money"...I had not posted for a bit and wanted to run my "post count" up a bit...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:41 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally posted by rumples riot
Don't buy a dob that is smaller than 8" though.
... unless it's not for you. A 6" Dob (or even a 4" if you can find one) for $300 or less might be a good investment if you have kids around. It'll keep them busy and their grubby little hands off your more expensive gear.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I Dare say if you buy a dob and then an expensive astrophotography setup later on, you'll probably want to keep the dob for visual use anyway. They are so much simpler to use and move and dont require batteries,leads and other paraphanalia associated with tracking scopes.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Their is lots to choose from when it come's to scope's......if your impatient like me....Buy a big Dob 10" or 12" aslong as its portable enough for you.......then at a later stage you can easily convert the dob onto a big EQ mount if that's what you want....

A Dob is a Reflector...their the same...just different mount system.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I wonder why nobody seems to use something like a 150mm f5 eq newt or similar for imaging?
It doesnt have to be big. I saw a fantastic shot of the horsehead and flame nebs taken with 80mm ED refractor.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I agree with Geoff. I've seen lots of great pics too taken with what most of us would consider small and very small scopes. I'm guessing an 8" would be heaps for photography. A smaller scope will be easier to guide too.

For an EQ mount that could handle the OTA of a 12" Dob you'd probably need to take out a second mortgage.
Old 13-03-2005, 12:00 AM
josh (Luke)
luke

Your right ,a DOB seems less daunting (less money,easier to use) at the moment. One of my main reasons for wanting some sort of EQ mount was ill be out in paddocks doing most of my viewing and i thought the DOBS would sit alittle funny and not like cow poo as much. Im heading up to Brisbane to drop of a pal at the airport so Ill be looking around for a day or two just to get more of an ideas. Im thinken of a 10" DOB. Ill just shop around for the best deal so ive got cash left over for some good extras. Ill still keep my mind open though. You never know
Im getting sucked in already. Ah well ,no more money for gambling and fast women.
Old 13-03-2005, 12:57 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

No, Dobs probably don't like cow poo but you can easily elevate them off the ground like one of our fellow iceinspacers has done. See?
Old 13-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I have an 8" Dob which I am planning to upgrade for photographic use, but I will be going for the EQ6 for the mount, a little overkill but it's stability and accuracy that you want. With an autoguider on the side the EQ6 can be a very useful tool, as long as it's the skyscan version, if not the EQ6 will need to be modified.

I like the idea of getting the Dob (over 8") and saving for the mount later, then do the conversion when needed, you could easily adapt the two mounts so you can use both.

The Bintel 12" Dob is selling for around $998 I think, not bad price for apature you are getting. I think the EQ6 can handle that, weighs less than 25kg doesn't it?

Anyway follow these guys advise they seem to know what they are talking about In the end it's your decision.
Old 14-03-2005, 12:58 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Josh,

Why don't you take this project in stages? Think about getting a GS 8" Dob, a couple of wide angle eyepieces, a Cheshire eyepiece, red LED torch, planishpere and get to really know your way aroung the sky.

When you are ready to get right into astrophotography buy a motorised EQ5 and off you go. That way you can really have all your cake and eat it too.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 14-03-2005, 01:19 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Josh,

I have a 12" dobber that has to be plopped down amongst Sheep poop up the back paddock (best viewing spot).

I have recently played with a bit of astrophotography (hand-held digital camera) and I am hooked.

I was going to build an observatory up the back paddock designed specifically for a dob (low walls) but now I am hooked on photos I intend, one day, to get a tracking mount. I will house the tracker in the obsevatory and carry the dob mount outside for quick easy 'looking around'.

I am going to need a fairly substantial mount for the 12" and don't mind wating coz I can still use 'Dob Mode' while I wait.

Good luck!
Old 14-03-2005, 01:27 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

andrew and rob, been thinking the same thing since i bouht my 8" dob...
have it so it can be late put on an EQ mount or dumped on the dob mount. its a great idea

i recomend this josh!