Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
ColHut (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendo View Post
Hi Guys
I have inherited one of the Foco telescopes that this thread began on, and was wondering whether it is worth trying to build a dobsonian mount for the tube. I don't have the budget for a new scope (yet) but would love to use this for 6 months or so just to get into the groove while I build up the savings for a proper scope.
As the OP said, the mount is useless, and even the most minor focus adjustment will cause the target to vibrate uncontrollably for 15-20 seconds. Would a dobsonian mount made from a lazy susan and a plywood box be better than this? That way I can spend money I have now on eyepieces and enjoy this one for a while until I can afford the one I really want...
Thanks for your help!
Seems reasonable to me. You don't even need the lazy susan bearings, just three teflon pads for the azimuth bearings. Certainly not really worth the cost of buying an EQ-2 or EQ-3 mount for it (Though maybe second hand or massively discounted or free ) - unless you really do want to allow the OTA to be all it can be I suppose. Good luck with it.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:41 PM
brendo (Brendan)

Long story short, I scraped together $250 for a skywatcher heritage 130. Can I just say holy crap. I knew it would be better. Just not how much better!!!