Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 07-08-2017, 12:42 PM
tnakazon (Terry)

Best place to star gaze in urban Sydney

Hi all,

I will be visiting Sydney starting on the 3rd week of this month (2 week stay). I'll be bringing a small telescope with me.

So my question is, where is a good place(s) to observe in urban Sydney or in the suburbs (e.g. observatory grounds)? Doesn't have to be a dark sky - all I'm looking for is suburban or even urban skies (Bortle 8 or darker). I heard that you can see plenty even from light-polluted skies in the Southern Hemisphere. I myself do a lot of urban observing (Bortle 8.5 - 9.0) from home (Los Angeles). Thanks!

Terry
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Wavytone

Best answer depends where you are in Sydney - staying in the city ? Do you have transport ?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

The blue mountains will be far more satisfying than Sydney

Our club WSAAG has an observing night on 26 August and I see visitors are allowed..you could consider coming along We observe in the Blue amountains though it's a bit hard to get there by public transport and even harder getting back late at night if you don't have a car

http://wsaag.org/index.php?/Linden-Observatory.html

Or joining in one of the other clubs - all should be having observing nights then it's just after the new moon
Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Wavytone

https://nsas.org.au/observing/
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Best answer depends where you are in Sydney - staying in the city ? Do you have transport ?
I'll be staying within a 3-4km radius from the center of Sydney, from Potts Point in North Sydney to Alexandria in South Sydney.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker372011 View Post
The blue mountains will be far more satisfying than Sydney

Our club WSAAG has an observing night on 26 August and I see visitors are allowed..you could consider coming along We observe in the Blue amountains though it's a bit hard to get there by public transport and even harder getting back late at night if you don't have a car

http://wsaag.org/index.php?/Linden-Observatory.html

Or joining in one of the other clubs - all should be having observing nights then it's just after the new moon
Thanks for the info! I will have to attend an astronomy club meeting in one of the clubs around town, perhaps the WSAAG...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:14 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnakazon View Post
I'll be staying within a 3-4km radius from the center of Sydney, from Potts Point in North Sydney to Alexandria in South Sydney.
I'm going to be relying on public transport, no car...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Thanks for the link - will non-members be able to observe from Terrey Hills on a members night if the visitor brings a scope and pays a fee? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Wavytone

Sorry no idea - you'd best ask NSAS... I'm not a member. Their Terry Hills site is quite good for a city location, having been there a couple of times.

You'll also need a lift to get to Terry Hills - no public transport and a taxi won't find the site.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 PM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Sorry no idea - you'd best ask NSAS... I'm not a member. Their Terry Hills site is quite good for a city location, having been there a couple of times.

You'll also need a lift to get to Terry Hills - no public transport and a taxi won't find the site.
OK, thanks for the info!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Are you prepared to stay up all night.
If I am in Sydney and I may well be able to help you I could take you somewhere ...
It would be a favour but if it helps maybe ...you would have to get the train to Beecroft and buy a pizza, pay for petrol but yeh I think it could be fun.
Alex
Old 10-08-2017, 07:41 PM
FI93 (Norm)

Southern Highlands!!!

Pity you cant hop a train down to the Southern Highlands, the views from there are nice. Anywhere from Tahmoor to Moss Vale.
Old 13-08-2017, 09:48 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Are you prepared to stay up all night.
If I am in Sydney and I may well be able to help you I could take you somewhere ...
It would be a favour but if it helps maybe ...you would have to get the train to Beecroft and buy a pizza, pay for petrol but yeh I think it could be fun.
Alex
Thanks for the offer Alex! But my plan is to visit a local astro club meeting and meet other astronomers, possibly go to one of their observing nights/star parties.
Old 13-08-2017, 09:51 AM
tnakazon (Terry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI93 View Post
Pity you cant hop a train down to the Southern Highlands, the views from there are nice. Anywhere from Tahmoor to Moss Vale.
Thanks for the info - Southern Highlands, not sure if I'll make it that far south.
Old 15-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Wavytone

Agreed good views when its clear, however according to the BOM weather records its the cloudiest location on the mainland !
Old 15-08-2017, 07:50 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Agreed good views when its clear, however according to the BOM weather records its the cloudiest location on the mainland !
That may be true in the summertime, when a lovely clear day and twilight will be quickly ruined by cloud being pushed up from the east over the escarpment. Winter though is much better down here.
Old 15-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Wavytone

There was a plot somewhere on the bom site of cloud cover... I'll look for it tomorrow.
Old 19-08-2017, 12:55 PM
tnakazon (Terry)

Observing update - since arriving in Sydney on the 16th, managed to do a bit of urban observing from the Observatory park grounds and Beare Park. Was pleased with the observing here in Sydney, which is darker than the urban skies from Los Angeles!