Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Rod,
Congrats on your 5" Achro Refractor on a non GOTO mount What a great combo to use. I'm only slightly biased to big fracs on manual EQ mounts...Brian will explain

Photos are required

Matt
Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Rod

I've been following this thread with some interest and congrats for your purchase of the 127mm refractor, I'm sure you'll love it and be delighted at what this size scope can show on lunar and planets and even deep sky if you have dark skies or can access easily.
Myself, I have, among others, an 127mm X f1200 ( f9.4 ) Surplus Shed optics, on an EQ5 and it is one of my favoured scope and have used it for lunar and planetary imaging quite successfully. Well, I'm happy with some of the results at least.
Looking forward to reading your impressions of your scope and mount.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Red_Dog (Rod)

Well Bresser fell down hard with the plastic finder scope knurled knobs. One was broken on arrival. Will visit the hardware shop for some steel replacements.
The moon is friggin awesome. Have to sit on the ground though as it's straight up right now.
Off to look at some stars now. I have a very limited viewing viewing window at home.
Oh and it's a big scope. The pictures on the net don't do it justice. Glad l didn't go for the 152.
Very happy chappy right now.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Dog View Post
Well Bresser fell down hard with the plastic finder scope knurled knobs. One was broken on arrival. Will visit the hardware shop for some steel replacements.
The moon is friggin awesome. Have to sit on the ground though as it's straight up right now.
Off to look at some stars now. I have a very limited viewing viewing window at home.
Oh and it's a big scope. The pictures on the net don't do it justice. Glad l didn't go for the 152.
Very happy chappy right now.
Rod my Bresser 152mm f5 arrived with three broken scews on the finderscope bracket. It is due to the fact that they are rather brittle nylon, and the stupid way they pack them in the accessories box just screwed into the bracket. If they were in a separate little bag there would be no issue. . I had a real problem finding replacements and you cannot get white nylon ones as far as i could tell. Send an email to Wolfi at Teleskop-Express, he knows about them because i did that. He will send you as many as you ask for, for free, no shipping, under warranty. Don't leave it get onto him.

I actually don't use the finderscope because i am narrowband imaging with mine and the field of view of the f5 is more than adequate, my target area is always right there - well if you have a properly aligned EQ mount with Goto.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Red_Dog (Rod)

Well that's it for me tonight. Got moon burn on my retina's and insect bites on my bare feet.
Spent some time on the moon quickly changing EPs to see the difference.
Glanced around the stars a bit but with such a bright moon close by l couldn't get anything to brilliant in the EP.
Mars, M16 and M8 were up there somewhere. Couldn't even get Mars due to the bright moon and it being my first time out.
Lots to learn but the next 3 months will be very limited viewing for me as I'm off the road (no licence) till mid Jan (l was naughty). By then l should have my setting up routine and polar south (?) sorted out. (That's where Brian comes in handy ha ha)
Cheers for now and thanks for everyone's thoughts, suggestions, ideas et all.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:13 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Any time mate. , I will be home on the 21st for the weekend , if the weather is good let me know if you want a few pointers.
Those silly brittle nylon screws are in nearly all scopes out of China , but Bunning's sell little packs of M3 stainless steel Allen head cap screws , grab the 25 mm long ones , about $6 for 5 off.

Brian.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Red_Dog (Rod)

Unable to get to a dark site for a few more months. Going to hit up Saturn about 30°-40° from the western Perth horizon with 160 mag, the best l have currently.
Edit. 200 mag.

Last edited by Red_Dog; 17-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 17-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Red_Dog (Rod)

Looks like some kind of filter may be needed.
The CA is pretty bad under my current light polluted viewing.
Seeing faint fuzzies though gives me hope for this scope yet.
Will be spending many a weekend away with the scope next year.
Old 18-10-2016, 12:05 AM
silv (Annette)

Ah, sounds like the fun you're supposed to have.
Tinkering is half of the gain of this hobby
It's not supposed to make you disappointed or angry with your purchase.
It's simply what happens to everyone, no matter what scopes and other tools they are enjoying themselves with.
Always there's something to do and to learn during the cloudy nights...