Old 20-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Nath2099

Polar Alignment

I've been watching quite a few videos on aligning the EQ6-R mount I've ordered. They all seem to be North American, and mention pointing the polar axis north, and aligning with Polaris. Is this the same in the southern hemisphere? Sorry if this is a silly question!
Old 20-09-2016, 06:24 PM
silv (Annette)

in the Southern hemisphere you align the mount towards the south celestial pole.

Either by using Octans as pointer or - you can find South from your future observing location by looking up "Solar Noon" time for your coordinates and use the long shadow of a broom stick at solar noon to find the exact spot and direction of where to setup and point your scope to.
Old 20-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Nath2099

I assumed that pointing it south would be the case! I'll do some more research!

Cheers!
Old 20-09-2016, 09:43 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Having a look at your other thread about all your lovely new purchases, you'll be using autoguiding so it's not super necessary to get it exactly dead on. Set the altitude with your coordinates, make sure the mount is perfectly level, and point it as close to due south as you can manage, and you should be okay.

Not sure if anyone else has suggested you learn drift alignment, but I'll put my hand up as saying it's worthwhile.

I just bought a guiding system after starting my imaging journey without one, so I've been entirely at the mercy of my drift alignment abilities. It was frustrating & time consuming at first, but now I'm really glad I started without guiding because it forced me to get really good at it. It's a good skill to have.
Old 21-09-2016, 10:48 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Get your SCP alignment as close as possible. Makes it easier on the guiding system, less corrections = steadier viewing or imaging for sure.
Old 21-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I wonder whether they've made any changes around the polar axis hole, hopefully the QHY Pole Master EQ6 adapter still fits, it is a great tool for quick polar alignment.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:03 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

If you have clear views of the south celestial pole and your guide scope and camera provide the correct field of view then Sharpcap polar alignment is an excellent free tool that is very easy to use.
Old 21-09-2016, 01:25 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegableguy View Post
you'll be using autoguiding so it's not super necessary to get it exactly dead on. Set the altitude with your coordinates, make sure the mount is perfectly level, and point it as close to due south as you can manage, and you should be okay.
If your polar alignment isn't sufficiently accurate then you'll get field rotation (the objects in the field of view will slowly rotate in an arc centred on the guide star causing blurring.) The polar alignment doesn't need to be perfect but you can't be too sloppy about it either.

Cheers,
Rick.