Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 19-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Blue-Echo (Nick)

Prodigal returns -hello from Sydney

Hi everyone.

Last year during a major clean up I rediscovered my original 60mm refractor from the 1960’s. After much on line research and liberal use of a magnifying glass on the OTA looking for miniscule manufacturer and trademark type identifiers, I worked out that it is a pretty good quality Japanese “Towa” scope that was retailed at the time under the brand name of Denkar. After using it extensively during my youth, I eventually fell prey to all those distractions life throws at you (uni, career, marriage, mortgage, kids etc, etc). While I had got the scope out occasionally through the years (last serious use had been Halleys Comet!) when I found it again last year I put it back together and had a more serious look at some of the familiar objects from my youth (Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Alpha Centauri, the moon and more). This brought back a host of sharp memories and emotions - specifically the joy, excitement and thrills of viewing distant, beautiful and mysterious objects in the night sky – feelings that I know you are all familiar with.

So began a renewed journey back into the wonderful world of stargazing. This time around it has been made even better by the enormous advances in observing options – affordable scopes with large apertures, eyepieces bigger than an inch where you don’t have to look through a pinhole, mounts with the amazing “go to” capability (particularly handy these days in light polluted city skies).

I’ve been obsessively educating myself in all the new technological wonders since early 2015 and steadily spending some of the fruits of the aforementioned career on telescopes, eyepieces and accessories like filters, dew shields, heaters, finder scopes, torches, tables, cases, observing chair and so on and on – it never really stops does it?? – but it’s all good fun.

While I joined IIS almost a year ago and have been lurking since, I have to say I have enjoyed reading the contributions from all the members and have benefitted greatly from reading your views on all things astronomical. I’m pretty well set up now equipment wise (for this month at least ) and am enjoying the fantastic views that modern technology allows. Can’t wait to eventually get out to some dark skies though! Tried last month in the upper Hunter region while visiting friends but of course got clouded out

I’m looking forward to participating more on the forums and throwing my two cents in from time to time
Old 20-07-2016, 12:07 AM
csb (Craig)

Welcome, Nick.

Your intro was interesting read. I also had a 60mm telescope (Pentax), when I was in my 20's. Then I got back into astronomy about 9 years ago.

I finally worked upto the Celestron 8'' SCT last year. What a fantastic upgrade from 5-6 inch telescopes.

This forum is great even just for reading and learning.
Old 20-07-2016, 03:55 AM
silv (Annette)

I enjoyed reading your story a lot! Thank you for sharing and may the force of the cloudless skies be with you
Old 20-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Nick,

Good on you for taking the plunge and publishing your journey.
I must say it sounds familiar to many of us, and is always good to read.

You are not far too from here, and you are welcome to join us on our next dark sky journey. Subscribe or follow these Central Coast threads in the star-parties forum:
Astro Camping
or
One Night Sessions

or you may prefer to get in with the Katoomba group
(they tend to use separate threads each session)

Either way, you wont believe how much better it will be to get out under some good dark skies

Hope to see you soon.
Old 20-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Blue-Echo (Nick)

Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement.
Craig - you are spot on, the forums are both entertaining and informative.
Silv - may the long white clouds confine themselves to daylight hours.
Allan, thanks for the tips, I will definitely try and get out to one of these sooner rather than later.
Old 20-07-2016, 01:10 PM
OffGrid (Steve)

G'day Nick and welcome.

Your account is very reflective of my own a few short years back.
Likewise, I was welcomed with open arms by this community just as the father welcomed back his son.

This dark science where filaments of filtered light shine through to caress our imagination and feed an undefinable and insatiable hunger is a strange yet wonderful place to be.

However, like you I have got most of the right gear, yet I struggle with the management of time and space and when it seemingly does come together, I am robbed by the sky blanket.

So I've tried it, done it and am now on the edge of teaching it. That is, to share this in outreach because it is bound to amaze someone and perhaps later in life after the tides have settled, they may do as so many of us have done, rediscover a hobby that they wished they have never left.

All the best and as Allan indicated, you will find that any of the local Astro groups would be happy and accomidating to have you along to share the experience.

Steve
Old 20-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Blue-Echo (Nick)

Cheers Steve. Its good to know I'm not the only prodigal out there.

Outreach is a great thing to do. That sound of "oh wow" from little (and not so little) kids when they see the rings of Saturn, bands of Jupiter or craters on the moon for the first time is priceless and hopefully the wonder and curiosity will stick with them as it has for so many of us.
Old 20-07-2016, 07:11 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

<Yoda voice> Returned to the dark side he has...
An oft repeated tale by many on here ..

back...
Old 20-07-2016, 07:24 PM
silv (Annette)

lol